GEN 2 Catch can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Upgraded my intercooler 2 weeks ago - I found like you, no oil whatsoever anywhere to be found in my IC or any hoses. Granted, only 3200 miles but still, not even a film.

I had film coating the inside of the pipes on my truck when i swapped ICs at 2000ish miles

Having read all the info on oil and seeing no real hard evidence that a 2018 needs a catch can, I am firmly in the No block.

Some one needs to scope a engine with 50k miles and post pictures to show any damage, if any.

I'm getting about 5 tablespoons every 5K in my UPR can.

I despise engine covers just on principle. I'd remove it just because I hate fake shit... and heat soak.

This is one oil change (~5k miles on a FR can)... truck lives in a climate controlled garage, is babied, and this was all highway miles including a road trip halfway across the country on cruise control. It's not that much but it's more than I would want in my intake system. And it will only get worse as the miles rack up and especially if you do more local driving and/or drive your truck harder.

To me, catch cans are just cheap insurance. Truck runs better now without that vapor reducing octane and will run better long term by keeping the intake system clean.

I like the engine cover as it suppresses some of the ticking noises from the EB.

I'm in the middle of swapped my FR IC for the SVC IC ( bumper fitment).

Even with the UPR can, I am getting light oil coating of the pre IC piping. I am glad I have a catch can on my truck.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow that way more then i would have thought, is anybody running the Full race Catch can with out it throwing codes?

wipit is running one without codes.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

That SVC cooler came out after we built my brother's truck. Seriously nice looking piece of equipment.

Curious - what are your reasons for making the swap?

*edit* bumper fitment. d'uh.

Going with a Smurf?

Last edited:

Sungod661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have to pick up one up soon , i am not keen on drilling lines though

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
wipit is running one without codes.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

That SVC cooler came out after we built my brother's truck. Seriously nice looking piece of equipment.

Curious - what are your reasons for making the swap?

*edit* bumper fitment. d'uh.

Going with a Smurf?

Going with the baja frame cut. I was going to go with a Rogue front bumper, but Rogue completely blew their delivery timeline and their customer service is worse than terrible.

The SVC bumper is so tight to maximize the approach angle that the only IC that will work without modification is the SVC one.

Once I get everything sorted ( taking my sweet ass time cutting the frame), I'll post any differences in IAT between FR and SVC. The FR has pretty much sat at an IAT that is 15-20 degrees warmer than ambient outdoor temp.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Once I get everything sorted ( taking my sweet ass time cutting the frame), I'll post any differences in IAT between FR and SVC. The FR has pretty much sat at an IAT that is 15-20 degrees warmer than ambient outdoor temp.

I would love to hear how the compare in the real world.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I doubt there will be any significant difference. What are you using to read IATs? Also, take temps at full throttle.

i would not be so quick to judge.

The FR intercooler is probably 8-10 lbs heavier than the svc version. It also has a larger front/rear surface area.

Is is enough to have a tangible impact? i don't know.

I am using an nguage to rear the IATs.

996Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had film coating the inside of the pipes on my truck when i swapped ICs at 2000ish miles

I'm getting about 5 tablespoons every 5K in my UPR can.

I like the engine cover as it suppresses some of the ticking noises from the EB.

Even with the UPR can, I am getting light oil coating of the pre IC piping. I am glad I have a catch can on my truck.

Same here at 15,000 miles I had oil dripping out of my intercooler pipes when I swapped intercoolers.

japlj3K.jpg

VfHqMlQ.jpg

BangBang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know about the RX Catch Can?
I like the fact that it has the air intake lines into the turbos tied into the system.