GEN 2 Catch can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lottp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on all the pics/info seen so far, and with my own recent experience, it looks like roughly 1oz per 1000 miles is what you can estimate to be collected by a catch can.

Mine was a little closer to 1.25oz per 1000 miles, but that's likely because low mileage daily driving means more start/stops and idling per mile than someone that is doing higher mileage driving. Very high mileage drivers may end up being a little under 1oz per 1000 miles.

Last edited:

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure they didn't add direct/port injection to the base F150 EB 3.5 until 2017. Also I'm sure the engines are very similar but we don't know what all they changed when the upped the boost for the HO. Have heard different valve covers (which could have been designed in such a way to attempt to prevent recirculating oil mist).

The earlier engines had direct injection only and absolutely horrific problems with carbon build up.

-sludge-build-up-intake-vavles-possible-fix-carbon.jpg

Obviously the addition of port injection will help but we don't know how much fuel runs through the intake vs. going direct to the chamber.

Bottom line, a catch can is a good idea. As is running techron periodically.

EXACTLY, Ford was using DIRECT injection only on the EB engines until they decided to go with dual injection (both direct and port injection) from 2017 on. Guess why? They were getting complaints of earlier EB engines with rough idle (especially at cold start up). Turned out the intake valve nearest the PVC manifold intake were experiencing carbon build up on back side of valve. Ford will not approve an intake cleansing due to potential turbo damage, and their remedy was to replace the entire head. My friend with a 2015 3.5L EB has this very issue. However, while the new dual injection will help to keep the intake valves cleaner, it's still in the nature of all engines (especially forced induction engines) to have blow by. That's where a catch can system can help to keep some of the blow by contaminated air from getting back into your intake...

I have a JLT air/oil separator (catch can) on my 2017 Gt350 and pull out 1-2 oz of blow by contaminated oil every 1K miles...and it's a NA engine, catch can was $139.00 and took all of 5 minutes to install...why would you not install a catch can...

Last edited:

Speedy_Thief

Reaction score
Somebody on here posted about it. Can't remember who. He said because of the design you can't use your engine cover anymore. He also said he's had ongoing issues with a CEL from that catch can.

Good to know thanks, I searched it but only pulled this thread. I’m still trying to figure out if they are truly needed on the 18 engine.?

wipit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somebody on here posted about it. Can't remember who. He said because of the design you can't use your engine cover anymore. He also said he's had ongoing issues with a CEL from that catch can.

If have the full race catch can no issues at al. Check your installation

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
If have the full race catch can no issues at al. Check your installation

the FR catch can throws codes on 18s. The sensor on the driver's side sees the high flow with the pcv gutted and thinks it is a leak.

you cannot run the engine cover either.

If you magically got it to work on an 18, please share how.

And if anyone wants the one I have sitting in my parts bin, I'm happy to bring it to TRR for ya.

pete888

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the FR catch can throws codes on 18s. The sensor on the driver's side sees the high flow with the pcv gutted and thinks it is a leak.

you cannot run the engine cover either.

If you magically got it to work on an 18, please share how.

And if anyone wants the one I have sitting in my parts bin, I'm happy to bring it to TRR for ya.

Interesting...I was just about to pull the trigger on their catch can.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the UPR catch can for a few thousand miles so far. No CELs and good quality. But it's one of the more expensive ones. Yes you have to drill into one of the intake pipes, but it still looks factory and its a good seal. Super easy installation.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Interesting...I was just about to pull the trigger on their catch can.

I've had the UPR catch can for a few thousand miles so far. No CELs and good quality. But it's one of the more expensive ones. Yes you have to drill into one of the intake pipes, but it still looks factory and its a good seal. Super easy installation.

i ended up buying the UPR set up. I'm pleased with it. No codes, no problems. I did have to trim the engine cover on the underside a little for it to lay as it did befor the UPR catch can, but I'm good with it.