GEN 2 Catch can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Q

Qnardacci

Reaction score
oil pulled through the intake by the factory PCV system will never cause valve problems on the new EB engines since it has a port injector spraying the backside of the valve keeping it clean. This was HUUUGE problem with direct injected only cars like BMW, Subaru (FA20DIT), early Toyotas(lexus) ETC where they were DI ONLY cars and there was no port injector to spray the back of the valve clean. Our biggest problem is coating the inside of the intercooler with oil over time.

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

the factory PCV system will have almost zero impact on engine life other than lowering the efficiency of the intercooler marginally at high mileage on a truck that isn't raced regularly. The catch can is a good idea because the intercooler essentially acts as a catch can in the factory system. Separating moisture from the oil vapor. But it has zero impact on engine life either way.
The reason we run catch cans on our race engines is because the oil vapor can cause a fluctuation on the octane rating in extreme extreme cases. and we need every scrap of intercooler efficiency we can get do to size constraints.

I for one am glad to hear that. I will rest easy knowing that I don’t need to install a catch can. I won’t be racing my raptor and hated to risk warranty issues if something else were to go wrong. Thanks for that information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is another way.

Check out this link Detroit Tech Roundup: 8 Treats Including the 37-mpg F-150 Development Truck - Motor Trend

go past the F150 getting 37 MPG and find "Clean Valves in a Jiffy"

where they clean for $120 a service

"described an intake-valve-deposit cleansing system that has finally hit the market in two forms. Valvoline EasyGDI First Defense can be administered by ASC/Quick Lube technicians. It essentially involves removing the manifold air pressure sensor, mounting a nozzle where it was, and using this nozzle to fog the manifold with one or two 22-ounce cans of intake cleaner product (aerosolized by shop air) while the engine is running. "

Results?????

"Looking at the open intake valves with a borescope showed them to be badly gunked up with carbon deposits. One can of cleaner had them looking mostly clean."

Or you could just keep it clean to begin with. :shrug:

Side benefit, more power and more fuel efficiency throughout your ownership.

PS - did you run the ROI on a catch can vs. clean up servicing every 35k miles?

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS - did you run the ROI on a catch can vs. clean up servicing every 35k miles?

To run a ROI I need Data.

Who has a Catch can? At what Mileage did you empty it and how much did you find?

It would be nice to bore scope a 2017 that's at 50K miles (No Catch Can) and see if there is anything. Not sure anyone has hit that point yet.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Who has a Catch can? At what Mileage did you empty it and how much did you find?

It would be nice to bore scope a 2017 that's at 50K miles (No Catch Can) and see if there is anything. Not sure anyone has hit that point yet.

I agree with that to some degree but just seeing those pics and the volume of oil that came out in such low miles would be enough for me to add the can. It would drive me nuts knowing all that junk is in the intercooler.

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with that to some degree but just seeing those pics and the volume of oil that came out in such low miles would be enough for me to add the can. It would drive me nuts knowing all that junk is in the intercooler.

Thanks

Looking at the oil at 1500 miles, is not enough to buy one.

What other times have you found oil? Mileage and amount if you can.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks

Looking at the oil at 1500 miles, is not enough to buy one.

What other times have you found oil? Mileage and amount if you can.

We must be seeing different pictures. That's a lot of oil for a brand new truck that started with 0 miles on it and is probably being babied. Wait until he starts getting on it, especially when it's cold. I wouldn't want that crap in my engine.

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We must be seeing different pictures. That's a lot of oil for a brand new truck that started with 0 miles on it and is probably being babied. Wait until he starts getting on it, especially when it's cold. I wouldn't want that crap in my engine.

I guess the real question is, what do the valves look like if that oil hits them.

lottp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put on the UPR catch can after first oil change in June at 3480 miles. After 9 months and 5900 miles of daily driving, my oil life on the cluster says 21%. Nevertheless, I wanted to check my catch can. I was purposely trying to hold off for a full oil change cycle, but couldn't wait any longer.

I put an empty 16oz water bottle on the nozzle, opened it up, and it filled up half way (8oz)! The top 7oz looks milky, and the bottom 1oz looks like watery oil.

It filled up so fast, and I couldn't see well laying under the truck, so I was worried for a minute that it would overflow. I'm definitely glad the UPR can hold 16oz!

I completely justified the catch can purchase to myself today.

SJRaptorG2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pic is what just came out my can. It represents about 2000 miles. I have had a can since about 5000mi, I have 32,500 now. I change it about every 2000mi and get about the same. I only have one on the passenger side PCV to the throttle body, the driver side to the turbo throws codes if one is installed, I have a WOT hose into the intake also.

I am not a professional mechanic but I play one. I have worked in a service shop and went to a trade school and it’s my hobby before joining the Army and changing my career. I hesitated using catch cans for years, after repeated problems with my hummer that was fixed every time I cleaned the intake system I installed one at the advice of a real mechanic. Never had a problem after.

I was not going to put one in since the 2017s have port injection also, but after seeing how oily the intake manifold was I decided to do it at about 5000mi. The sensor in the intake manifold has been clean ever since. I wanted to prevent this and oil from entering the intake and messing with the plugs and fuel/air mixture. I am happy with it.

There are auto manufactures that are starting to add a catch can set up, nevertheless most will not because issues that come up from a dirty intake, combustion chamber and even exhaust won’t manifest itself until high mileage. I plan to keep this for awhile, I have 32,500mi in 1 year of driving so it will have high miles by next year and that’s about when the warrant is done, just the way ford planned it, hmmm.

Attachments

• IMG_0869.JPG
    IMG_0869.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 296