GEN 2 Can't lock rear Diff in 2H?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Pic18 have you tried to go to Baja mode then lock diff then switch the 4x4 back to 4x2? Or try Baja switch back to 4x2 then lock. I was leed to believe you could tailor the settings once you pick the mode but maybe not the locker out of 4x4?

Bombsquad68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't running it to an upfitter switch work?

If it's an Eaton E-locker, all you need is a few amps at 12 Volts to activate the electromagnet. Should be a piece of cake to piggy back one of the wires to the locker and run power from the upfitter switch.

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that's true it's definitely a big downside. I run in the sand dunes extremely often and unless I'm in something hairy or stuck already, I only run in 2wd w/ Locker ON, ORM, and TC completely disabled, at ANY/ALL speeds. As mentioned that is what allows the truck to be fun in snow, dunes, etc.

Every model the vehicles get more high tech and less usable it seems like most of the time.

BrianR

Reaction score
99% of my off road miles in my '11 are 2WD locked. This is seriously the first news that has bothered me.
If it's true that we've lost that feature, maybe it's just a case of engineers assuming they understand how customers are using the truck and it can be a software change.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Shouldn't the limited slip in front and AWD mode, not present in the G1, more than make up for it?

Seems a locked rear, in all but straight running, is less than desirable.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd rather have limited slip than a peg leg with e-locker. Unfortunately my TrueTrac is for 34 spline axles. :mad:
I wonder if I could run (34 spline) Gen1 axles?
If not, it shouldn't be long before we know how to mod the e-locker to work in 2wd. On 2011 F150 4x4's the e-locker only engaged in 4x4 and people modded them to work in 2wd. In 2012 FoMoCo made the e-locker work in 2wd.

wweaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this was one of the first the things that people modded when the power wagons came out in 2005. Called it " the grey wire mod". Was pretty simple from what a friend said. I would think the up fitter switch will come in handy, but why on earth is the new truck not capable of doing this stock. so much much advancement, now the engineers are telling you how they think you should drive. ridiculous.

_M_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PUSH (Gen 2) instead of PULL (Gen1) the 4WD selector knob.

That's how you manually activate the diff outside of the pre-selected terrain modes

Edit: This is from the Raptor owners supplement. BUT it's a little confusing on how it reads. In one section it seems you can activate it manually is any drive mode, then in another section it sounds like maybe only if you're in 4x4

Last edited: