Cam Phasers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think I'm having the cam phaser issue on my 2019 it goes to shop Thursday this week to be diagnosed. Currently sitting at 31K miles and my main question is if it does have the cam phaser issue once repaired will this issue return? I might be wrong but I think I've read post on here where owners have had them repaired and the same issue returned?

Just looking for information.

Thanks
You either have it or you don’t; it’s not something you have to listen for. It’s a very distinct rattle noise that occurs for 2-5 seconds and can be heard inside or outside of the truck. The replacement parts were revised to eliminate the failure mode. The people who had a repeat repair had the service performed before the new parts were available.

HSrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You either have it or you don’t; it’s not something you have to listen for. It’s a very distinct rattle noise that occurs for 2-5 seconds and can be heard inside or outside of the truck. The replacement parts were revised to eliminate the failure mode. The people who had a repeat repair had the service performed before the new parts were available.
Thanks for the reply and yes that's what I hear a rattle on start up outside or inside the cab. Sometimes it's worse than others. Thanks for letting me know that the replacement parts have been revised and if repaired the problem shouldn't return.

KH4

Reaction score
My 17 just started the rattle this week. I think understand that the most current TSB revised April 14 does not now reprogram anything, it calls for just parts. Raptor and non raptor. As the previous Non-HO software was causing transmission issues and others problems. So there is a hold on the Non-Raptor Software update being installed. Which I will assume delay Raptor update.

My concern would be should I wait till software is available for Raptor application and then have it all done at once Or go ahead and have new parts swapped in. My appointment is Monday to drop it off.

KH4

Reaction score
So i mentioned mine has started rattling this week. I made the appointment to get it fixed. Now like magic it decided not to rattle. Is this normal for it come and go?

I know the severity and length can change. I am hesitant to take it in if it not going to perform the rattle for the dealer. I do have a video clip as proof.

OP
OP
Rustler

Rustler

Reaction score
OP here. I haven't abandoned the thread, but my dealer is so busy that the appointment I scheduled after my OP was weeks out (now next Monday). I sent the video of the startup over to the dealer (first post) and they said they don't hear anything abnormal. I can appreciate that they aren't going to approve an entire warranty repair based on my vid, but to say that this sounds normal doesn't seem right.

Sanity check here: is that not the tell tale cam phaser rattle in my video? Here are both vids I've taken.

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP here. I haven't abandoned the thread, but my dealer is so busy that the appointment I scheduled after my OP was weeks out (now next Monday). I sent the video of the startup over to the dealer (first post) and they said they don't hear anything abnormal. I can appreciate that they aren't going to approve an entire warranty repair based on my vid, but to say that this sounds normal doesn't seem right.

Sanity check here: is that not the tell tale cam phaser rattle in my video? Here are both vids I've taken.

That’s the sound of the cam phasers

FINRPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Ford tech suggested that all phaser solenoids be replaced and the oil pressure sensor at the front bottom of the pan be replaced also. He has done many of these repairs without those parts and suggests many have come back. When he replaces the "extra parts" they don't come back. He also suggests replacing the oil every 4k with high quality synthetic.

Wolfeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Does this sound like the cam phaser rattle? Only happens at cold start and last a very short time. Doesn't seem to affect the truck when driving, just sounds awful at startup.

Azrael

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Does this sound like the cam phaser rattle? Only happens at cold start and last a very short time. Doesn't seem to affect the truck when driving, just sounds awful at startup.

yes, that is the cam phasers failure that you hear in the first few seconds. You should definitely get in line to get them replaced.

Mjboom

Reaction score
My 2019 with 25k sounds like it may be beginning the “rattling” upon start up. Build date (according to window sticker) is 4/4/2019. I also have an occasional slight oil smell ( no visible leaks). Is this the beginning of the dreaded cam phaser issue