Cam Phasers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rustler

Reaction score
Started hearing this on start up for the first time a few days ago. Only cold startup after sitting overnight or longer. Comparing to other vids that identify cam phaser rattle, I think it's the cam phasers. Do you guys agree? (29k miles, October 2018 build, Jan '19 delivery, only service work done as yet on motor was replacing cracked valve cover (which is crazy that would happen on a truck with 26k miles at the time)).

How is this being handled by the dealers? Any guidance on what I should be pushing for? Would like to guy into conversation with dealer armed with good info. Thanks!

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes. That's exactly what mine sounded like.
Show them the videos. Dealership i used kept it over night so they could get a cold start. Once they verified they ordered the parts and gave me my truck back. Once parts all came in they called to schedule the appointment and verify that a loaner would be avail. Picked the date and dropped it off. 2 days later picked it back up and dropped off my loaner.
There is no reason to have your truck setting at the dealer waiting on parts.

OP
OP
Rustler

Rustler

Reaction score
@Antho thanks for your thoughts. Do you know what exactly they replaced? Anything I should be pushing for the dealer might not offer up?

Good tip on not leaving with them while parts ship, especially now with messed up supply chains, random stuff is taking forever to ship and it seems impossible to predict. When they found my leaking valve cover I drove that for about 2 weeks while they waited on new one, not too bad, but felt weird driving a truck you know has an issue like that.

OP
OP
Rustler

Rustler

Reaction score
@Antho Thank you, this is what I love about forums. Ask a question, get an answer and documentation. Very helpful.

I'm pissed this is the second significant repair on a truck with less than 30k. I hope they shampoo my engine too, might make me feel better.

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines at the dealership as well for Cam Phasers, I plan on ordering a gen3 but am kinda leary on it as the gen3 is 10k more and if the problem isn't fixed I'm not so sure I want an unreliable truck. Other option is the Raptor R but I'll be paying out the *** for that and fuel mileage will be horrendous. Not sure what I'd replace the Raptor with either.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mines at the dealership as well for Cam Phasers, I plan on ordering a gen3 but am kinda leary on it as the gen3 is 10k more and if the problem isn't fixed I'm not so sure I want an unreliable truck. Other option is the Raptor R but I'll be paying out the *** for that and fuel mileage will be horrendous. Not sure what I'd replace the Raptor with either.

The issue was corrected in production on trucks built 11/1/19 and later. They revised the part to eliminate the failure mode and updated the software. The issue doesn't make the truck "unreliable"; it's simply an undesirable noise. It won't leave you stranded and has no impact on engine performance.

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The issue was corrected in production on trucks built 11/1/19 and later. They revised the part to eliminate the failure mode and updated the software. The issue doesn't make the truck "unreliable"; it's simply an undesirable noise. It won't leave you stranded and has no impact on engine performance.
When I was driving down the highway I was trying to pass other vehicles on the road and I noticed a perceived or actual loss of power, it was downshifting to get in the power band. Then I heard a chime and a wrench came on the screen. I pulled over and did a quick chec thinking I lost boost. Got in my truck and took off and babied it for the next 100 miles not giving it much throttle and staying at 70mph.
Then the CEL came on, I made it to an AutoZone and pulled the codes. P0018 &p0021 I believe. Took it to Ford the next afternoon they ran their diagnostic program and came back with Cam Phasers that need to be replaced, 11hr job. Should get back Friday before I leave town for a few months. I purchased my truck brand new from Ford June of 2019, sounds like I had the old faulty design. I'm hoping this issue is permanently resolved as I want to sell for the gen3.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I was driving down the highway I was trying to pass other vehicles on the road and I noticed a perceived or actual loss of power, it was downshifting to get in the power band. Then I heard a chime and a wrench came on the screen. I pulled over and did a quick chec thinking I lost boost. Got in my truck and took off and babied it for the next 100 miles not giving it much throttle and staying at 70mph.
Then the CEL came on, I made it to an AutoZone and pulled the codes. P0018 &p0021 I believe. Took it to Ford the next afternoon they ran their diagnostic program and came back with Cam Phasers that need to be replaced, 11hr job. Should get back Friday before I leave town for a few months. I purchased my truck brand new from Ford June of 2019, sounds like I had the old faulty design. I'm hoping this issue is permanently resolved as I want to sell for the gen3.
Do you have any mods? The TSB is only for the cold start noise concern, not for engine performance issues or DTCs. Although it may still be a cam phaser/timing related issue, the TSB is not applicable. As far as maintenance, have you had your oil changes done by a dealer/Quick Lane, aftermarket shop, or yourself?