Cam Phasers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Will the Cam Phasers go out on every engine once it gets some mileage on it?

With working remotely during COVID and probably not going into the office, I won't gain enough mileage until the warranty is up, good and bad...
No. Not every phaser is faulty, so not every truck is affected by the issue. Ford also indicated that they are releasing a customer satisfaction software update this month for 3.5 HO engines that reduces the chance of a future failure occurring.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Chris Retired Grunt

You would need to run an OASIS (Ford database) to see if any repairs were performed. I can help you with that if you message me your VIN. A cold start phaser rattle is very distinct and audible, you’d know if you had the issue.

FGHT ON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As brought up earlier in the thread, if the cam phasers fail, is it time or mileage or both?

I have a very early '17 release and just hit 9k miles. I haven't had any issues w her at all - also had a Whipple Ecoboost Stage 1 since about 2 months of purchase.

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford also indicated that they are releasing a customer satisfaction software update this month for 3.5 HO engines that reduces the chance of a future failure occurring.
Can this be installed ourselves like a Sync update?

What about if u have a custom tune, can the 2 co-reside or be installed without reverting to the factory base tune?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can this be installed ourselves like a Sync update?

What about if u have a custom tune, can the 2 co-reside or be installed without reverting to the factory base tune?
No, you need IDS, and the software update is not yet available. If you install a custom tune, you will overwrite the factory calibration. The tuner would need to update the parameters in the aftermarket cal to match the Ford update.

rightway

Reaction score
No, you need IDS, and the software update is not yet available. If you install a custom tune, you will overwrite the factory calibration. The tuner would need to update the parameters in the aftermarket cal to match the Ford update.

Does this mean the update is not available yet? Does the update have an identification number and be applicable for all the F-150 3.5 echo boost? Thanks

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does this mean the update is not available yet? Does the update have an identification number and be applicable for all the F-150 3.5 echo boost? Thanks
Not for 3.5 HO applications. There are multiple different calibrations.

HSrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be either, but most issues seem to occur under warranty, so within 5/60.
I think I'm having the cam phaser issue on my 2019 it goes to shop Thursday this week to be diagnosed. Currently sitting at 31K miles and my main question is if it does have the cam phaser issue once repaired will this issue return? I might be wrong but I think I've read post on here where owners have had them repaired and the same issue returned?

Just looking for information.

Thanks