Cam Phasers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any mods? The TSB is only for the cold start noise concern, not for engine performance issues or DTCs. Although it may still be a cam phaser/timing related issue, the TSB is not applicable. As far as maintenance, have you had your oil changes done by a dealer/Quick Lane, aftermarket shop, or yourself?
Only mods I have are a Volant intake and a catch can. No tuner, wanted to get that though. I have had the trucks oil changed 2x by an oil change shop. All others were at Ford at 7500 miles or less. I did the 3rd oil change myself and have had countless done since. The last oil change I got was a a lube shop in my old town, I wanted to go to Ford but that dealership doesn't have a quick lane and was booked out a week for a sime oil change, I was leaving to Ca for work and was forced to use them.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Only mods I have are a Volant intake and a catch can. No tuner, wanted to get that though. I have had the trucks oil changed 2x by an oil change shop. All others were at Ford at 7500 miles or less. I did the 3rd oil change myself and have had countless done since. The last oil change I got was a a lube shop in my old town, I wanted to go to Ford but that dealership doesn't have a quick lane and was booked out a week for a sime oil change, I was leaving to Ca for work and was forced to use them.
Gotcha. Amazing that some of these dealers are booked out on oil changes, poor management. Do you know what oil and filter they used at the aftermarket shops? With those DTCs it sounds like you may be losing oil pressure to the phasers when warm, which can be caused by scored cam journals.

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been using Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 since it's 3rd oil change. Had been using factory Ford oil filters as well up until the last change about 2.5-3 weeks ago. I decided to try out the Amsoil oil filters. Now I know that they are extended change oil filters and using them is a waste since I change at 7500 miles or less. I got 1 of these Amsoil filters left then I was going to go back to the factory Ford filters. Thoughts?

2019 scott

Reaction score
When I was driving down the highway I was trying to pass other vehicles on the road and I noticed a perceived or actual loss of power, it was downshifting to get in the power band. Then I heard a chime and a wrench came on the screen. I pulled over and did a quick chec thinking I lost boost. Got in my truck and took off and babied it for the next 100 miles not giving it much throttle and staying at 70mph.
Then the CEL came on, I made it to an AutoZone and pulled the codes. P0018 &p0021 I believe. Took it to Ford the next afternoon they ran their diagnostic program and came back with Cam Phasers that need to be replaced, 11hr job. Should get back Friday before I leave town for a few months. I purchased my truck brand new from Ford June of 2019, sounds like I had the old faulty design. I'm hoping this issue is permanently resolved as I want to sell for the gen3.

Attachments

• 56CB627A-BFF7-420B-9EF2-9203C7ABCAE7.png
    56CB627A-BFF7-420B-9EF2-9203C7ABCAE7.png
    144.1 KB · Views: 56

Darryl

Reaction score
Started hearing this on start up for the first time a few days ago. Only cold startup after sitting overnight or longer. Comparing to other vids that identify cam phaser rattle, I think it's the cam phasers. Do you guys agree? (29k miles, October 2018 build, Jan '19 delivery, only service work done as yet on motor was replacing cracked valve cover (which is crazy that would happen on a truck with 26k miles at the time)).

How is this being handled by the dealers? Any guidance on what I should be pushing for? Would like to guy into conversation with dealer armed with good info. Thanks!

Darryl

Reaction score
Hi Rustler,

I've had my cam phasers replaced twice on my 2019 Raptor. This job costs anywhere from $2500 to $3000 to complete. Fortunately, my Raptor was still under warranty. This is my third Raptor I've owned. Ford is having a big problem with these cam phasers and is not admitting it. I called Ford and had a conversation with them about this. I stated I would not buy another Raptor. They gave me a 75,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. If you would like to discuss this further, please email me at [email protected]. Good luck.

Chris retired grunt

Reaction score
The issue was corrected in production on trucks built 11/1/19 and later. They revised the part to eliminate the failure mode and updated the software. The issue doesn't make the truck "unreliable"; it's simply an undesirable noise. It won't leave you stranded and has no impact on engine performance.
Do you have any mods? The TSB is only for the cold start noise concern, not for engine performance issues or DTCs. Although it may still be a cam phaser/timing related issue, the TSB is not applicable. As far as maintenance, have you had your oil changes done by a dealer/Quick Lane, aftermarket shop, or yourself?
good info, but I have question for you. 2018 Screw 8/18 build date. Pardon my old army bad hearing but I have had this truck now for a year and I honestly can’t tell from looking at this videos whether my cam phasers are going bad either. by looking at all of these comments, I take it that any built before 11/19 could have this issue, correct? If so, is there a way to tell if the cam phasers have been replaced by a prior owner which is my case. Bought it with little over 38,000 and now has 46,000. Thank you for your help with this.

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will the Cam Phasers go out on every engine once it gets some mileage on it?

With working remotely during COVID and probably not going into the office, I won't gain enough mileage until the warranty is up, good and bad...

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi Rustler,

I've had my cam phasers replaced twice on my 2019 Raptor. This job costs anywhere from $2500 to $3000 to complete. Fortunately, my Raptor was still under warranty. This is my third Raptor I've owned. Ford is having a big problem with these cam phasers and is not admitting it. I called Ford and had a conversation with them about this. I stated I would not buy another Raptor. They gave me a 75,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. If you would like to discuss this further, please email me at [email protected]. Good luck.
If you had to have the repair done twice, either the repair was done before the revised parts were available, or the dealer misdiagnosed the issue. The updated parts have been available since 2019 and resolve the concern. Ford has clearly admitted some vehicles may experience the issue; they published the TSB and extended warranty coverage through a customer satisfaction program.