Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^ Yeah. I've seen that for the BMW e46 m3 and its many issues.

SMG pump
VANOS
Rear subframe cracks

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I'm out! Enjoy your trucks everyone. My advice to owners with cam phaser issues is to document everything, (dated videos) and hire a lemon law attorney if you have multiple visits without resolution. They don't cost anything upfront and will go after Ford for their fees.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I'm out! Enjoy your trucks everyone. My advice to owners with cam phaser issues is to document everything, (dated videos) and hire a lemon law attorney if you have multiple visits without resolution. They don't cost anything upfront and will go after Ford for their fees.

Comforting :) lol

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got my Ford Focus bought back and I didnt have to do anything. They re-paid me every red cent I put into the car, including anything extra I added. They paid for every year of registration, 2 years of insurance payments, everything. I ended up like I never owned the car and got a big fat check. If thats not what your getting, you better get yourself an attorney like I did. They even paid my attorney fees. And thats in California.

California is the most litigious state in the nation with the strictest "lemon" laws. CA is so different from other states that it might as well be it's own country. That applies to more than just lemon law as well.

California's "lemon" law, also known as Song-Beverly, does not require a manufacturer to refund an owner for insurance, registration, or modifications. If a vehicle qualifies for repurchase, the owner is entitled to the value of the vehicle minus depreciation and damage. Your case is unique because your vehicle (Focus) had known transmission issues in 2012-2014 models, so Ford essentially washed it's hands of your vehicle to prevent further litigation by your attorney. Lawyers are scumbags and CA lets them get away with murder. You might think lawyers are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but wait until you find yourself on the wrong side of one and lose everything you own and then some. CA is pro-lawyer, pro-litigation, and anti-corporation; you can find yourself on any end of that spectrum at any time.

I would suggest refraining from providing legal advice unless you are a licensed attorney; providing anecdotal information can easily result in members on here losing a court case and ending up with thousands of dollars in legal fees.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I was afraid of. I believe those that don't have the cam issue don't hear anything at all at cold soak startup. My noise is likely just going to get worse though it may take a long while. I am leaning towards I have the "beginning" of the cam phaser issue but only time will tell how it turns out. I do believe now that my sound is not normal, though faint.

Anyway. It's really not a big surprise. When you think about it, even though my truck was built after the supposed cutoff (4/2019), the engine could have been sitting on the shelf from 6 months ago for all I know. I highly doubt they assembled the engine at the same time as the truck. So likely my engine has the old part(s).

Anyway, what can ya do? I could be wrong about a few things but I still love the truck and enjoy it immensely. But when I think of 5 years from now, when the powertrain warranty runs out, I get nervous.

If you can, post a vid of your new sound. Sorry you potentially have a new issue. There should never be a knock at anytime on an engine even at 20F. I've seen 30F in mine and do not have any knocks. Maybe a faulty knock sensor? Let us know what the dealer's response is to you having issues with your second truck if you bring it in...

Not sure how else I can explain this...there is no "beginning" cam phaser noise. The phasers either fail to lock and make a loud rattle noise (duration of noise varies), or they lock properly and exhibit no noise. Based on your video, it is not possible that the noise you are hearing is the result of the cam phasers failing to park in their locked position.

When a service message is released, they base the date on the affected component. Meaning vehicles after that date have the updated parts/design. So if the engines were "clean" on that vehicle build date, that is the date they use.

Plenty of engines exhibit normal "knock" type sounds due to variations in temperature. This is especially common in vehicles with forged pistons; at low temperatures on a cold start the pistons rock slightly in the cylinder bore and create a phenomenon known as piston slap.

As far as the noise you are experiencing, what oil and filter are you running? A missing (cheap filter) or faulty anti-drainback valve within the filter housing will result in a lack of oil pressure to the top end of the engine at cold start. This causes a momentary tapping/knocking noise until the cylinder heads (OHC) or lifters (OHV) receive full oil pressure.

Did you ever observe the wastegate movement on a cold start to see if it coincides with the noise you hear?

dburb

Reaction score
On a slightly different subject. My service advisor at my dealership suggested I wait for the TSB to come out which Ford said to expect in the third quarter. He said the would be the approved fix not just a service bulletin.
Back to the previous lawyer comments I don't have much sympathy for Ford when I spend so much of my hard earned money for what say is a vehicle warrantied against defect then they knowingly miss deadlines for the fix. If you doubt me spend $80 K on a truck look thru your windshield from the hood at your warped thin plastic dash between the defrost vents. Ford has been saying a fix is coming since 2015 for that one. Every manufacture has their problems but this is not a Prius it's their number one selling vehicle.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When a service message is released, they base the date on the affected component. Meaning vehicles after that date have the updated parts/design. So if the engines were "clean" on that vehicle build date, that is the date they use.

so does/would that mean if the TSB says an updated part was released on April 7,2019 and a truck was built on April 17, 2019, it would have the new parts? Would/ Does Ford use what’s left on the shelf before going to the new parts or pitch what’s on the shelf?

For the record I had an 18 and now have a 19 ( April 18, 2019 build) and I’ve never had this issue.
I do a proper warm up and let the truck idle for about 30 seconds before I shut it off. Not sure if that’s why, just adding color.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On a slightly different subject. My service advisor at my dealership suggested I wait for the TSB to come out which Ford said to expect in the third quarter. He said the would be the approved fix not just a service bulletin.
Back to the previous lawyer comments I don't have much sympathy for Ford when I spend so much of my hard earned money for what say is a vehicle warrantied against defect then they knowingly miss deadlines for the fix. If you doubt me spend $80 K on a truck look thru your windshield from the hood at your warped thin plastic dash between the defrost vents. Ford has been saying a fix is coming since 2015 for that one. Every manufacture has their problems but this is not a Prius it's their number one selling vehicle.

I'm not disagreeing with your feelings in the least, but read your owner's guide. Every manufacturer states the same thing.

"This warranty does not mean that each Ford vehicle is defect free. Defects may be unintentionally introduced into vehicles during the design and manufacturing processes and such defects could result in the need for repairs. Ford provides the New Vehicle Limited Warranty only to remedy manufacturing defects that result in vehicle part malfunction or failure during the warranty period. The remedy under this written warranty, and any implied warranty, is limited to repair, replacement, or adjustment of defective parts. This exclusive remedy shall not be deemed to have failed its essential purpose so long as Ford, through its authorized dealers, is willing and able to repair, replace, or adjust defective parts in the prescribed manner. Ford’s liability, if any, shall in no event exceed the cost of correcting manufacturing defects as herein provided and upon expiration of this warranty, any such liability shall terminate."

As far as Service Advisers, the majority of them know nothing; they are salespeople for the Service Department. The new cam phaser service parts and revised calibration have been released for some time; it's your call as to whether you want to wait for a TSB vs. the current SSM. As I've mentioned previously, the TSB essentially just standardizes the labor times for the dealership.

Ford released a TSB for the dash defrost appearance issue in early 2019; the TSB number is 19-2041. The TSB doesn't state "Raptor" since only base models share a dash with the XL/XLT, but the same resolution applies. Meaning the dealer can install the updated part to resolve the issue but just can't bill out the repair by the TSB number.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so does/would that mean if the TSB says an updated part was released on April 7,2019 and a truck was built on April 17, 2019, it would have the new parts? Would/ Does Ford use what’s left on the shelf before going to the new parts or pitch what’s on the shelf?

For the record I had an 18 and now have a 19 ( April 18, 2019 build) and I’ve never had this issue.
I do a proper warm up and let the truck idle for about 30 seconds before I shut it off. Not sure if that’s why, just adding color.

Yes; if the TSB/SSM provides a build date cutoff, then vehicles built after that date are not affected by the identified issue. If a defect is identified in a part, those parts are scrapped as soon as the defect is confirmed and are no longer used in further production. Hence the build date cutoffs that are specified in the service messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.