Cam Phaser debacle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had the exact same issue, P0018 and P0021 codes. Engine rattle that kept getting worse, Loss of power and Misfiring while idling, truck actually shut off at a light.

Dealer replaced cam phasers and timing chain. But this did not fix the issue other than the rattle.

Took it back, and dealer replaced the Cam shaft actuators as this was their next best guess of what the issue could be.

Truck seems to be having no issues at this point.
New member and 1st post I see. Welcome; please feel free to introduce yourself in the New Member section. And the obligatory pictures of course!

The DTCs you listed are not cam phaser related; those indicate a physical timing issue. Did you buy the truck used? There are no cam shaft actuators, only VCT solenoids and sprockets. Perhaps they replaced the VCT solenoids to resolve the issue? Glad it's running well now.

Marcelletti17

Reaction score
New member and 1st post I see. Welcome; please feel free to introduce yourself in the New Member section. And the obligatory pictures of course!

The DTCs you listed are not cam phaser related; those indicate a physical timing issue. Did you buy the truck used? There are no cam shaft actuators, only VCT solenoids and sprockets. Perhaps they replaced the VCT solenoids to resolve the issue? Glad it's running well now.
Truck was brand new, 2019 that I ordered after Ford bought my 2018 back. And I was told camshaft actuator by the dealer, but after looking into it, it does look like it was the solenoids.

Theswits

Reaction score
2017 801A here.
approx. 60,000 km (Canadian here)
Daily driver, but not far. Zero oil consumption, running Mobil 1.
Had sun roof issue at 1 year, as well as doors freezing recall. Both fixed.
Had the cam phasor ecm flash recall, got that done, but no cam phasor ratlle (yet).
Long term 13.5 l/100 km average. Still burning off my first set of BFG KO2's, another set sitting in the garage.
The GPS clock setting is stuck on the Dearborn time zone, no amount of stealership hit or missing has been able to fix it (I'm in the Pacific time zone).
Obligatory thread hijack: looking for someone in BC with Forscan experience to turn off headlight daytime running lights, and put on ambers instead. Would also consider Spokane WA area.P1.jpg

Danactive

I'm Back!
Reaction score
does anyone know after you get the camphasers fixed under warranty is there any type of extended warranty they have to provide coverage for? i would think if the phasers gop out within the next year or something strange that they would have to be held liable in some way right?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
does anyone know after you get the camphasers fixed under warranty is there any type of extended warranty they have to provide coverage for? i would think if the phasers gop out within the next year or something strange that they would have to be held liable in some way right?
It’s detailed in the 21N03 campaign letter. Phaser coverage is pro-rated to 89,999 miles.

Danactive

I'm Back!
Reaction score
I understand that but that’s for first time cam phaser issues but you’re out of warranty I believe. I’m asking if you’ve already had them done under warranty is there any extended coverage as I would find it hard to believe if you had them done at 89,999 miles and then they break again or have issues at 91,000 miles would you really be required to front another $3-4k…

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I understand that but that’s for first time cam phaser issues but you’re out of warranty I believe. I’m asking if you’ve already had them done under warranty is there any extended coverage as I would find it hard to believe if you had them done at 89,999 miles and then they break again or have issues at 91,000 miles would you really be required to front another $3-4k…
That’s a dealer workmanship issue at that point, so they would need to take care of it. There haven’t been repeat issues with the updated parts.