Cam Phaser debacle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My 2020 Raptor developed the cam phaser noise back in mid January. Not just at start up, but all the time. I called my local dealer, and made an appointment. They said they couldn't get me in till the end of February, but it was "ok to drive". So I kept driving it.

Took it in on Feb 25 and they did a completely useless ecm flash that did nothing and made the truck shift funky. They scheduled a new appointment for me to bring the truck in the following week to do what I thought would be the actual repair. I show up at 8:00am and the guy is like "why are you here? We don't have the parts." So he says it's going to be at least a month or two to get the parts. But "it's ok to drive it". So frigging annoying. So unlike me, I didn't raise hell, not sure why.

In the past couple of days the noise has gotten worse, way worse. The truck is idling rough (almost dies) and I can hear it pinging under throttle. Getting a bunch more error codes on the Ford App. Clearly it isn't safe to drive anymore. Any ideas what might have changed/happened? Pretty frustrating to have a 60k mile truck that is going to sit in the driveway because I can't get a part for a month or two.
_nc_ohc=VGBmIPI4g9UAX9ezxWs&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=MdIl3tGIthwAX8vxhuV&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=gLvdhCkNrW0AX-J0c8O&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=ksaHACcPqZcAX-je0p3&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.jpg

X-g12hu&tn=BffGAlzV6-QJhr4a&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.jpg

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you buy the truck new or used? If used, do you have maintenance records?

The cam phaser issue is a rattle on cold start. An consistent engine noise with DTCs is an indication of a separate issue.

You may want to call Ford customer service and open a case to see if they can expedite the parts.

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as FordTechOne said -- you probably have another issue going on other than cam phaser. I'd get the dealer to look at those issues now and not wait for the parts for the cam phaser to show up first.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just think of the money you guys will save now by not driving your Raptors. Are the parts coming from Russia/Ukraine? Unemployment is lower than precovid, why is everything on backorder still? Still, better to be safe than put more miles on "broken" parts.