GEN 1 Cab Rust and the Current Market

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
I'm so glad I left Illinois for Colorful Colorado 40 years ago! Illinois was always the worst for dumping salt by the tons on the road. Chicago street department would dump any salt they had left over just before spring so they could show city council they needed more salt for the next year incase it was a worse winter. On to the rust, I think it would be cheaper in the long run to fix it right and still have your Raptor then to sell and buy something else.

OP
OP
MFNG

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This taper section, totally open to the cab corner right by the eyelet opening. Made a custom silicone plug and painted.

View attachment 320980
Thanks. How did you make mold?

Sorry if it’s in your thread. Still finding time to read what everyone posted - thanks btw, will be implementing the suggestions!

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. How did you make mold?

Sorry if it’s in your thread. Still finding time to read what everyone posted - thanks btw, will be implementing the suggestions!

Just piled layers of silicone together in like a form and let dry for a bit and you can shape it.

Not sure if anyone else can back this up for being a cause. Was thinking maybe it could be for ventilation to dry out inside if somehow moisture does get in, but I'm guessing not, plus bad spot for that.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's a new one, where about's? Pics?

Yea, it's something I've never seen before looking it up on any forum. FL truck, away from salt/beach, try to avoid mudding etc... Body shop quoted me 1500 for both sides. Right side is worse than left.

Attachments

• 20210214_095111.jpg
    20210214_095111.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 45

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea, it's something I've never seen before looking it up on any forum. FL truck, away from salt/beach, try to avoid mudding etc... Body shop quoted me 1500 for both sides. Right side is worse than left.
That's really weird for it to happen there, something happened or didn't happen during the assembly process at one time. At least you caught it before it gets worse.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Horry sheet, never seen that! Especially down south

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's really weird for it to happen there, something happened or didn't happen during the assembly process at one time. At least you caught it before it gets worse.

That's what the body shop thinks on how the rust started in that spot. Something was missed during assembly.
Oh well, knock on wood 91k miles in that's the only issue so far I can't complain.