GEN 1 Cab Rust and the Current Market

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MFNG

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys and gals, I think I’m gonna sell her.

Looked into composite corners and rockers, not so sure that’s a good idea. Estimates are coming in around $5k for whole corner/rocker replacement. The expert analysis says if the cab corner is rusted, the rockers are probably suspect too, or will be soon after.

If I had a garage and she didn’t live outside all the time I might consider paying for the replacement, or try to fix it myself, but TBH I don’t have the skill or tools, and coupled with the fact that unless I move or build a garage, she will still live outside.

If anyone knows someone looking for an Oxford White 2014 with graphics (and doesn’t mind fixing the rust issue) send them my way. I have extensive records for things done since I’ve owned her, and would be happy to share all the stuff I know and have learned about her since I’ve had her.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well guys and gals, I think I’m gonna sell her.

Looked into composite corners and rockers, not so sure that’s a good idea. Estimates are coming in around $5k for whole corner/rocker replacement. The expert analysis says if the cab corner is rusted, the rockers are probably suspect too, or will be soon after.

If I had a garage and she didn’t live outside all the time I might consider paying for the replacement, or try to fix it myself, but TBH I don’t have the skill or tools, and coupled with the fact that unless I move or build a garage, she will still live outside.

If anyone knows someone looking for an Oxford White 2014 with graphics (and doesn’t mind fixing the rust issue) send them my way. I have extensive records for things done since I’ve owned her, and would be happy to share all the stuff I know and have learned about her since I’ve had her.
Well, post that puppy in the Garage Sale section, or trade in on a Gen 3.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, it's something I've never seen before looking it up on any forum. FL truck, away from salt/beach, try to avoid mudding etc... Body shop quoted me 1500 for both sides. Right side is worse than left.
That has to be related to the battery. I'm not sure how but that seems like quite the coincidence if there's nothing on the other side. Guess it could be related to the bolt hole not being protected.

OP
OP
MFNG

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, post that puppy in the Garage Sale section, or trade in on a Gen 3.
Audible! A buddy I work with convinced me that we can save it. Confident in his skills cutting out the old corners and welding/finishing the new ones.

Let’s just hope we don’t burn down the truck!

I kid…I hope.

Big Papa Gecko

2012 Raptor SCREW Tuxedo Black (Sold)
Reaction score
Audible! A buddy I work with convinced me that we can save it. Confident in his skills cutting out the old corners and welding/finishing the new ones.

I kid…I hope.
With good insurance, burning down the truck just streamlines buying a new one

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I kid…I hope.
It is definitely worth saving. Post lots of pics of the rust repair!!

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
At the current market, I'd be fixing it. You can't get into a truck for anything reasonable right now. I bought my Raptor late last year and held onto my 2013 Limited until this spring. It had rusty cab corners and needed a lot of work and I still got 21k out of it selling it to the dealership with 110k on it.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not going to happen again if you take out BOTH driver side and passenger side rear sun roof drain hoses out from inside the last body frame hole, and spray a ton of 3M cavity wax in there, seal under and on top of the roof body seam Rivit, seal third brake light well. Had mine for 112,000 miles no rust on either side. Did all of this at 40,000 miles. It will be worth it.