Underbody Rust GEN1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Morgans Gen1

Reaction score
Hi Forum!

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. I just recently picked up a 2013 with 66k miles, it spent some time in Chicago which is where I assume the rust built up. I have seen a few other posts on Rust and how to rid of it, but more so curious to get some feedback on my particular rust spots. I live in a condo without a garage so I am fairly limited to what I can do on my own, I'd likely take it somewhere, unless it was easy to do.

Would appreciate anyones' thoughts on how easy it would be to clean this up, and if it looks like anything I should worry about. Thank you all!

IMG_5452.jpg
IMG_5453.jpgIMG_5450.jpgIMG_5451.jpg

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, in your case , there is no emmergency, I only notice rust surface to me.
As usulay, wee see more rust around weld parts wich keep water..
But it's a good idea to want to do something to avoid more contamination.

1- Clean all underneath with pressure water , better with hot water...
2- Brush everything especially rust parts. You need to disassemble some parts and wire to make proper job... (nothing tecnical but very long time)
3- Clean again and blow everything..
4- Use a rust converter , then a good paint, why not whith epoxy... Or a good paint wich already contains rust converter...May be two coats is a must...

It's a lot of work, but you will be happy when it done...

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
^^^
Yes, your pictures show surface rust which is pretty normal for any vehicle. What you need to do is check for rust on the rocker panels and cab corners. Do a search here on the forum for threads on those two. They are the ones to worry about. Good luck and keep us posted.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your Gen 1 looks better than mine.
Mine has been in Michigan it's whole life, but minimal winters before, and none since I owned.
VERY hard to find one in my area with much left of the rockers or cab corners.
Doing some preventative maintenance to yours would be worthwhile.
KEEP IT NICE
:)

clop30

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum and was looking at a 2010 raptor with 60k miles. Asking price is 25k but I have some video of the underbody would love some insight if it’s worth it or not for this truck in its condition.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_2433.mov
    8.3 MB
  • IMG_2432.mov
    8.1 MB
OP
OP
Morgans Gen1

Morgans Gen1

Reaction score
^^^
Yes, your pictures show surface rust which is pretty normal for any vehicle. What you need to do is check for rust on the rocker panels and cab corners. Do a search here on the forum for threads on those two. They are the ones to worry about. Good luck and keep us posted.
No rust there (whew), checked that area first when I originally started looking. Will do, thank you

OP
OP
Morgans Gen1

Morgans Gen1

Reaction score
Your Gen 1 looks better than mine.
Mine has been in Michigan it's whole life, but minimal winters before, and none since I owned.
VERY hard to find one in my area with much left of the rockers or cab corners.
Doing some preventative maintenance to yours would be worthwhile.
KEEP IT NICE
:)
Thanks man, going to do as much as possible! Loving it so far

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum and was looking at a 2010 raptor with 60k miles. Asking price is 25k but I have some video of the underbody would love some insight if it’s worth it or not for this truck in its condition.

Thanks in advance
This one looks pretty bad! Really check the rocker panels and cab corners. Videos are pretty short, and don't really show a lot. Give us some more info on the truck.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad i live in Arizona except 4 months out of the year . Zero rust on my 2010

Attachments

• 20211015_113211.jpg
    20211015_113211.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20211015_113225.jpg
    20211015_113225.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211015_113240.jpg
    20211015_113240.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20211015_113311.jpg
    20211015_113311.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 14

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hello, in your case , there is no emmergency, I only notice rust surface to me.
As usulay, wee see more rust around weld parts wich keep water..
But it's a good idea to want to do something to avoid more contamination.

1- Clean all underneath with pressure water , better with hot water...
2- Brush everything especially rust parts. You need to disassemble some parts and wire to make proper job... (nothing tecnical but very long time)
3- Clean again and blow everything..
4- Use a rust converter , then a good paint, why not whith epoxy... Or a good paint wich already contains rust converter...May be two coats is a must...

It's a lot of work, but you will be happy when it done...

I only do step 4 and it works fine. MarHyde rust converter over the nasty spots, and then Rustoleum Pro Enamel over the whole surface.