Found an area of rust, question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bsimms89

Reaction score
I am currently cleaning the underside of my truck, applying rust inhibitor, and then coating it with cosmoline. Ive done the rust inhibitor every couple years and have kept the truck mostly rust free in the Northeast and figured adding coamoline as a coating would help as well.

The area with rust I’ve found is on the passenger side right where the floor pan starts sloping upwards behind the fender and liner. I hit the rust with the chipping hammer and I seemed to have passed through the panel.

In this area am I in the cab of the truck? Is this the passenger footwell? It almost seems like a black hard plastic on the outside, then the steel, then there’s a padding on the inside once I’m though the steel. I’m not sure if the padding is sound deadened or carpeting, or if this area isn’t in the cab.

The pictures are progressively zooming in so you can see where the area is. I’m going to remove all the rust and see how to best latch the area, but just want some input from anyone about what this area is. Like I said it’s on the passenger side, up behind the fender liner.

Attachments

• IMG_9007.jpeg
    IMG_9007.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9008.jpeg
    IMG_9008.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9009.jpeg
    IMG_9009.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9010.jpeg
    IMG_9010.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9011.jpeg
    IMG_9011.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
OP
OP
bsimms89

bsimms89

Reaction score
Looking at pictures of a truck with the fender off it would be the area I indicated with the yellow circle. Just want to figure out how best to do the repair.

Attachments

• IMG_9012.jpeg
    IMG_9012.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 29

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am currently cleaning the underside of my truck, applying rust inhibitor, and then coating it with cosmoline. Ive done the rust inhibitor every couple years and have kept the truck mostly rust free in the Northeast and figured adding coamoline as a coating would help as well.

The area with rust I’ve found is on the passenger side right where the floor pan starts sloping upwards behind the fender and liner. I hit the rust with the chipping hammer and I seemed to have passed through the panel.

In this area am I in the cab of the truck? Is this the passenger footwell? It almost seems like a black hard plastic on the outside, then the steel, then there’s a padding on the inside once I’m though the steel. I’m not sure if the padding is sound deadened or carpeting, or if this area isn’t in the cab.

The pictures are progressively zooming in so you can see where the area is. I’m going to remove all the rust and see how to best latch the area, but just want some input from anyone about what this area is. Like I said it’s on the passenger side, up behind the fender liner.
Define rust inhibitor? What did you use?

OP
OP
bsimms89

bsimms89

Reaction score
I use Krud Kutter The Must for Rust, it’s primarily phosphoric acid based and reacts to neutralize any rust. https://www.rustoleum.com/-/media/1330EA1F3BDC428BAFA74897CDE13445.ashx

It does a good job of stopping and surface rust I’ve seen starting then I’ve painted over it with rust oleum, this year I figured I’d then go over that with cosmoline to coat it.

This area is just tucked up out of the way and I must’ve missed it for all these years when I’ve done the cleaning.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ah ok, I am not familiar with the product. What I have seen as most effective is a combination of a cosmoline on certain areas and something like a corrosion x , fluid film, or surface shield ( some type of oil based, seeping product) to keep rust a bay. Repeling elements and sealing out and displacing moisture. You are right cosmoline will be useful but only if you can remove all that rust. Otherwise I'd hit it with a wet product like the above mentioned. After 6 michigan winters i have a nearly perfect frame etc on my Gen2 with those methods.

OP
OP
bsimms89

bsimms89

Reaction score
I’m not too concerned about the coating. I’m more curious about this area. Is that the front corner of the footwell into the cab? Trying to decide how to best repair, whether to cut out an area and weld in a patch, or cut out an area and use structural automotive epoxy to attach a small patch. Thinking automotive epoxy would be easier especially with the padding I’m seeing in the inside that I’d rather not have to remove to do the repair

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Epoxy and toped with POR 15. Inside and outside. You should never have to think about it again.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
I’m not too concerned about the coating. I’m more curious about this area. Is that the front corner of the footwell into the cab? Trying to decide how to best repair, whether to cut out an area and weld in a patch, or cut out an area and use structural automotive epoxy to attach a small patch. Thinking automotive epoxy would be easier especially with the padding I’m seeing in the inside that I’d rather not have to remove to do the repair
Yes

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Looks like you tried to beat the Northeast rust, but the rust has won. I would also bet that there are more rusted spots than what you have found there. Hopefully you can come up with a fix that will stop it from eating away further.