Market Value thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RS4

Reaction score
Market for Gen 1s look like they are slipping unless I'm overthinking??? Autotrader not really looking good as far as dealer pricing. I always thought they would be strong for years to decades.
I'm toying with the idea of possibly unloading. My truck used to be street queen (never taken off-road), now a garage queen. I've used it twice in the last 6 months.
2014 Special Edition supercrew Roush :) 57k on the clock.

Just curious on member thoughts on value. Really curious to know from similar spec owners with recent sales, not the low ballers that drive a tacoma (no offense, great little truck)

OP
OP
RS4

RS4

Reaction score
was thinking that. Just thought the Gen1 novelty would remain strong. Yea, with prices like this, she might continue to sit.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The car business seems to look at 2 factors when it comes to value/de-value on used vehicles. Usually you will see a drop at 100k miles and again when a vehicle hits the 10 year mark.
The last of the Gen1's is now a 10 year old truck, so we are seeing a downward trend now. Add into that the banks dont want to finance old vehicles so they tack on a point or two of interest and that slows down the action on the older trucks. Its all working together to bring the "Value" down.

Here in TX it seams that Clean lower mile Gen 1's are still hanging in the $32-37k range. People ask $40k, but I dont see many pulling that anymore, you can get into a G2 for $45 around here.
I just missed a 65,000 mile Gen 1 with a whipple and full RPG suspension for $35!
I would think your truck is right in there, maybe more, maybe less, all comes down to if a buyer wants it bad enough.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of these trucks will continue to drop in value. Clean low mile 2014s seem to do the best especially considering they weren’t 80-100K new. Getting 30K trade in or whatever it is, is still a win in my book. You’re still getting more than half of the value of the truck back after owning for 10 years. High interest rates, and a huge amount of used gen2s available doesn’t help. As far as future deprecation I see the gen1s as closer to their pricing floor. If you’ve got a 2011 with 180K miles for example, its not going to go much further down.

OP
OP
RS4

RS4

Reaction score
I sold a 2005 Jetta wagon for $5000 this weekend. Find your buyer and you'll do fine.
5k is wild but a wagon...

Rarity is the key. Was hoping for values to plateau or even barely creep up. Perhaps, this is the lowest point right now for our truck? Just figured a clean 14 SC with relatively low mileage unabused would muster more value. I rather keep it then unload for 35k. In my head, always just wanted 50k, maybe we'll see that number in 5 more years or so? Gen 2s flooding the market is more of a who cares type of thing. If Bring a trailer agrees to list, then I know it might get more.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
5k is wild but a wagon...

Rarity is the key. Was hoping for values to plateau or even barely creep up. Perhaps, this is the lowest point right now for our truck? Just figured a clean 14 SC with relatively low mileage unabused would muster more value. I rather keep it then unload for 35k. In my head, always just wanted 50k, maybe we'll see that number in 5 more years or so? Gen 2s flooding the market is more of a who cares type of thing. If Bring a trailer agrees to list, then I know it might get more.
It did have low miles(66K), Diesel, but not a panel was undented and the turbo was gummed up lol

I think the 1st gen will always have "good" value, but I think the market of buyers is drying up.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might as well hold on to it, you’re on the very slow part of the deprecation curve now especially if you’re not racking up miles.

The gen jauns could have a “old land cruiser” resurgence, but it’ll be a while. 10-15 years old is kinda rock bottom for enthusiast cars. I could see reasonable miles gen jauns at 20 years old start to creep up especially as a new base raptor by then will probably cost 115K.

Last edited: