Gen 3 Raptor is Overpriced, you are all Insane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford already stuffed a 5.2L flatplane crank motor into a MUSTANG that has an 8200 redline, and 526 N/A hp, that was 5 years ago. So Chevy took a slightly bigger engine got 400 more RPM out of it and was able to jump the HP to 670... If anything its an evolution of what has already been done and its still gonna get smoked by a Tesla Model S 0-60 on any street surface by any idiot driver....
Yea but- they blew the F up on the regular too. If GM's actually hold together, then yea, it'll be impressive. "Big" and "flat plane" are not things that normally go together. At least you'll be able to fix the Vette when it breaks. Good luck fixing the dealer-less e-car when it breaks down.

uscraptor51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the clickbait thread title. But hear me out....

Been knocking around the idea of getting a truck for some time now and could really do with something midsized but hate, hate, hate all the offerings there. Tacoma is from the Paleolithic era and underpowered, Ranger is 4-cylinder only and a decade old itself. Nissan, LoL. You get the idea. Which brings me to larger trucks, specifically in the F-150, Silverado, Ram 1500 category as I have no need for a heavy duty truck. Not that need dictates all of my buying decisions but there is no way I would enjoy putting up with all the compromises of and HD truck if I didn't need the capability it brings. So Raptors....

I've like it ever since it broke new ground back in 2010 but the 2nd Gen left me a bit cold. It was the turbo 6 powerplant. Can't get past it. This is not a debate on the merits of exhaust note or cylinder count, enough keystrokes have been expended there for sure.

In unrelated (but related) news, this week I had my name added to a dealer's Corvette Z06 list. I'm not going to get one of the 'first' cars and that is fine. What I am going to get is an MSRP deal, expected by the dealer, myself and most educated Corvette folks to be $89,990 for openers. I don't need to bore you with details but 5.5L naturally aspirated V8 that raves to 8600 rpm and all that. It is going to be my personal, final love letter to petrol before it is all over. A 'forever' car if you will, built to my spec (which will light on options, no crazy aero, carbon brakes or carbon wheels). The only way it could be better (aside from maybe being not so ugly) would be if it had a manual transmission. That's why there does exist the small chance I could jump ship to a Porsche Coxster GTS 4.0 with a manual. But the way Porsche dealers tend to play games with allocations, and price their cars, that is a slim possibility at best.

Anyway, this got me thinking about writing a check for $90K, what value for money it provides and whatnot. That got me thinking about the MSRPs I'm seeing for these Raptors (never mind those foolish enough to be paying ADM, LoL) of $80-83K.
Viewed through the lens of "COVID disruptions, chip shortages, free Biden bucks for my kids, etc" I'm sure you guys are justifying it to yourselves just fine. After all, look at the market. But when I think of what the C8 Z06 is, as an engineering feat, with its mid-engined architecture, DCT trans, removable roof, the most powerful naturally aspirated V8 in history, etc, I can't help but kind of laugh at Raptor prices. At best, it's a breathed-on F-150 with a bespoke suspension, some frame bits and a tarted up 3.5. Please don't reply here and try to explain how it is 'basically' the engine from the Ford GT either. Because it's not. It is just terrible value for money in my opinion.

I understand that Z06s will doubtless run up to $140K with all the goodies (where, if you can get past the looks and brand image, it still is likely to represent good value). I also understand that I am getting a bit of in 'insider' deal at MSRP when some dealers have opened their lists at $50,000 over. I also understand that the Z06 is not a truck. I'm just trying to see what you guys think about the value for money a Raptor represents at $80,000+. It is based on the perennial best-selling vehicle in the U.S. with the ability to spread costs over hundreds of thousands of units after all. Anyone have thoughts to contribute beyond "Oh, you don't have a Raptor, ****"?

TL;DR: Raptors are a ripoff and I am going to buy a Corvette instead.
I’ll play…the Z06 is a “poor mans” sports car…YEP, I said it!!!!

There is no way a Z06 provides the same level of “experience” as a McLaren, Porsche (4S, Turbo or GT3) or some of the other exotic sports cars. It really comes down to experience vs. price. The interior build and overall quality is still American vs. German, YES there is a DIFFERENCE! We can than go on forever of everyday driving experience vs. track vs. fastest, etc.

If your trying to justify a Z06 purchase…I’m sorry for your loss.

OP
OP
C

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not expect the Z06 to deliver the exact same 'experience' as some of those cars. After all, it is roughly half or a third as expensive as the cars you listed. It should deliver a hell of an experience in its own right being the only naturally aspirated V8 in that group. All the while at a price below a stripper, bare-bones 911 Carrera with zero options. The 911 is well made, it's just not that well made.

I've had some of those cars you listed and here's one thing maybe some of you don't think about. I can get in a car like the Z06 and go just about anywhere in the country and dealer support for repairs or warranty work is close by. Go ahead and have a breakdown in rural Georgia at 11pm in a McLaren and its a really expensive tow and many days to weeks and countless phone calls to get it sorted. It can be a bit of a pain in the ***.

GTTXRAP

Drill Baby Drill
Reaction score
I would not expect the Z06 to deliver the exact same 'experience' as some of those cars. After all, it is roughly half or a third as expensive as the cars you listed. It should deliver a hell of an experience in its own right being the only naturally aspirated V8 in that group. All the while at a price below a stripper, bare-bones 911 Carrera with zero options. The 911 is well made, it's just not that well made.

I've had some of those cars you listed and here's one thing maybe some of you don't think about. I can get in a car like the Z06 and go just about anywhere in the country and dealer support for repairs or warranty work is close by. Go ahead and have a breakdown in rural Georgia at 11pm in a McLaren and its a really expensive tow and many days to weeks and countless phone calls to get it sorted. It can be a bit of a pain in the ***.
GT3RS is probably the best sports car out there...ask me how I know. I've also owned a McLaren 720s and a bunch of others. I'm going to tell you (and you already know), a Vette (don't care flavor) isn't even close to the cars I mentioned. Period. No need to try and justify to me -- won't work. And save the 'but for the price' BS...you get what you pay for in most cases.

Go enjoy your Vette--will be great in rural GA...no one will see you and that's a good thing :)

Now head over to the Vette forum and circle jerk w/ the blue hairs about how amazing the car is and ***** about pricing and lead times. Sounds familiar.

Best.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure some of you have heard of OBSESSEDGARAGE.COM, a good detailing site that sells very cool stuff.

The owner is a Porsche guy who owns currently a GT3RS, a GT4, and various other vehicles, having just sold his Gen1 Raptor. This video is when he gets a Corvette. He's all decked out in Corvette gear, a show car trophy, etc.

Check out what he does with it at the end of the video. It's hilarious.

itsarap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh…wow, I’m disappointed in myself for wasting over 30 minutes of my life watching this. He’s a true ****** Nozzle, I have nothing else…

Status
Not open for further replies.