Buying Raptor from out of state of CA, Is it still doable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ali Dianaty

Reaction score
I just registered my out of state raptor in California in mid March. If it’s new it should be no problem. If it’s used they will ask for a smog, VIN verification, and weight certificate since it’s considered a commercial vehicle.

blzrnr

Reaction score
Bought my 2018 brand new from dealer in Ohio. Paid registration in Ohio. Had it shipped to my home. Went to triple A to register it in Ca. They had my smog, and weight the truck and pay the difference in tax and registration in Ca. It is easy.

OP
OP
hj_s14

hj_s14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Ali and Blznr, Ice and other for the input.. So looks like it's still doable. I was worry because I stumbled across some thread before and someone mentioned you can't do it anymore in 2020 that's why. I Was trying to find the thread again to verify but couldn't find it.

I'm looking for a 2020 even thought 2019 has some pretty good discount.. but I already have a 2019

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The truck can say 50 state spray painted on the side for all you seem to care about. CARB needs to see it it Say “50 and Ca”

to the OP, have the dealer take a pic of that sticker and you will know.

if it says 50 only, you can gamble and get it. If it says 50 and Ca, you are good

Blah blah blah - the OP was asking specifically about the raptor. Every raptor is 50 state emissions compliant. Every raptor has the exact sticker you posted that your truck has.

-Ryan-

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy out of state and dont bring it to CA for 90 days then the DMV will ask if you have owned for more than 90 days and avoid sales tax.. just a hint...

lol. If only this was true, I would save so much money.

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought my 2018 brand new from dealer in Ohio. Paid registration in Ohio. Had it shipped to my home. Went to triple A to register it in Ca. They had my smog, and weight the truck and pay the difference in tax and registration in Ca. It is easy.
Seriously ?? I went to AAA a few weeks ago when I was thinking about buying a new Raptor out of state. They said I had to go to the DMV as they don't do ''NEW'' truck registration ?
Was I given bad info by a newbie at the counter ? I'm in Orange County and went to the Costa Mesa AAA by my work and house.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I registered my new 2018 raptor via AAA - they do all DMV services. No matter what you will need a smog check, get the truck weighed and then they will ask to see the CARB sticker under the hood.

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I registered my new 2018 raptor via AAA - they do all DMV services. No matter what you will need a smog check, get the truck weighed and then they will ask to see the CARB sticker under the hood.
You bought a brand new truck and had to get it smog checked through AAA ?

Asinine

Reaction score
You bought a brand new truck and had to get it smog checked through AAA ?
Yes. All Raptors, new or used, brought in from out of state need VIN inspection, weight certificate, and smog certificate.

I had to smog mine with 77 miles on the odometer - and it failed because there wasn’t enough miles since an ECU reset, so I had to drive it another 100 miles to get it to pass.

Smog, VIN, weight, fees.