Bump stop for light wheeling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at the Baja track at Rausch Creek. Is this safe to run with factory bump stops ? I have a 2020 Raptor

thanks

ps: have done tons of searching, but I’m still not sure if the live Fox shocks add any additional protection

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
number 1 thing to do if you do any offroading. before anything else. period. doesnt matter if its rpg, svc, icon, whatever. put them on. its the best protection for the oh crap moment WHEN it happens. not IF it happens.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
So you don't trust the factory bump stops at all?

not for a single solitary minute in the dirt.

Others have given it a whirl. Generally, the outcome has been damaging the frame enough that when attempting to install a bump kit at a later date, a difficult time was had when trying to complete the install due to frame deformation.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you don't trust the factory bump stops at all?
there was an issue back in the day when the gen 1 first came out. people were overdriving the trucks. they would hit the bump stops and the frame would buckle at the oem bump stop. im sure you have heard the comments of "the raptor has frame bending issues" well it doesnt matter what truck it would have been, chevy, dodge, toyota, you have that time where you hit the washout, whoops, whatever too hard any truck would have bent the frame. the only reason the issue arose was because ford produced the raptor and made it an offroad ready truck. people were saying how if it was an offroad truck why cant it handle the hard terrain. well it can. and it does it better than any other factory produced truck on the market, just not at speeds people were trying to go. in 2013 ford reinforced the frame at the bump stops for the vehicles being produced and forward. if you really want the entire back story, send me a message, but im not going to post it here. i personally have the rpg kit on my gen 1. at that time, it was the most robust system available. very heavy duty and provided the most support. i havent followed much on the gen 2 kits, but i will tell you that the 3 companies i mentioned before have spent a lot of time building designing and testing bump stop kits.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the recommendation for the best bang for the buck bumpstops for the part-time off-roader considering ease of installation, price and better protection than stock but not the "top of the line, I baja every minute I can" level?

How about this?:

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/A...-Timbren-Rear-Active-Off-Road-Bump-Stops.html
i can not say if these would be adequate enough or not as i have no experience with them, but i would compare them to other kits on the market and make that descision yourself after you weigh in the amount of offroading you do and how much weight you keep in your bed. you have to factor in all variables so you can get the right kit for you

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FWIW I've seen stock suspension Gen 1 and Gen 2 guys send it at events like RTO and some small trails with no issues. But like others have posted, it can still very well happen where you smack the hell out of the stops and now you got a tweaked frame.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Jason of American Truck, whose Raptor is modded but I don't know about bump stops, did a long youtube video of his Raptor blasting through Rausch Creek.

That said, I did some serious off roading in Moab and my truck is NOT modded in any way, no aftermarket bump stops, etc. In fact, I don't even know what they are. It did just fine.

I wonder if the Raptors at the Assault have aftermarket bump stops. I don't think so. And I bottomed the shit out of the one I was driving over a ravine. Caused the glovebox door to open and I couldn't get it to close. Minor though.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
the factory rubber bump stops are a much harder durometer and really aren't designed to handle what any truck needs when "airing it out". They are designed to deter metal to metal contact.

Helio Muiro tried not doing bump cans. Now while he didn't tweak the frame as many gen1 owners did, he did deform the frame rail to the point that the bump frame didn't fit properly once he went to install real bump stops.

At the end of the day, If you are shying away from spending the $1500 on the bump kit, it might not be a great idea to jump the truck at all. This hobby is expensive. You have to build the trucks properly to keep you, your passengers, the spectators, and the truck safe.

Buying the actual truck is the "cheap" part.