Bump stop for light wheeling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocsteady

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the factory rubber bump stops are a much harder durometer and really aren't designed to handle what any truck needs when "airing it out". They are designed to deter metal to metal contact.

Helio Muiro tried not doing bump cans. Now while he didn't tweak the frame as many gen1 owners did, he did deform the frame rail to the point that the bump frame didn't fit properly once he went to install real bump stops.

At the end of the day, If you are shying away from spending the $1500 on the bump kit, it might not be a great idea to jump the truck at all. This hobby is expensive. You have to build the trucks properly to keep you, your passengers, the spectators, and the truck safe.

Buying the actual truck is the "cheap" part.
I suppose that is money well spent in preventative "medicine"

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I suppose that is money well spent in preventative "medicine"

I'd classify it as such.

If you decide to go with something adjustable, like the SVC option, You could also use them to make towing a bit more comfortable by simply adjusting the bumps downwards.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with how they hold up to road salt in northern climates?

if it is a worry, a single nut can be loosened and the actual bump can may be removed.

The bump cans use the same style seals and materials as the shocks on your truck, So I wouldn't think that there would be any corrosion issues.

D

Deleted member 12951

Aftermarket Bump stops do more than just protect your frame. It eases the up travel into a smooth fashion when it is hit. Unlike the stock foam rubber that when you hit it, its harsh. When you hit it harsh it can tend to donkey kick the rear and you really need to pay attention to react when that happens as you could lose control if you are not preparing for it. Just from off-roading my GEN1, I learned how important a bump stop kit is and will be my first suspension mod on my GEN2, it is so much worth the money. I will be going with the RPG Stage 3 Kit with Deavers.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with how they hold up to road salt in northern climates?
not sure about the northern area, but along the california coast with the salt air and going to oceano dunes and playing in the ocean they did fine as long as you took a hose or went through a car wash afterwards. also lived in colorado where they use mag chloride on the roads to melt snow and theres a little bit of corrosion but i didnt wash it off every day. hell i just went through puddles after the rain so it went months without being cleaned off. mine have been on 6 years and still work fine. my biggest issue is the shafts taking rocks. i have a couple nicks so it may be time to replace.

OP
OP
Raptorial

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Guess I found my first mod...