BrandX vs BrandY vs BrandZ: WTF's up with all the cloak and dagger?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have never dealt with vendors over the net so I'm new at this and like it so far talk about info overload lol and a lot of opinions. Not every one is an expert some can just drive.
P.S. I just got on facebook 2 or 3 years ago and don't know how that all works yet but getting better. My typing that I thought I'd never use has improved quite considerably also with out spell check you probably could not read my words. It's funny most on this forum are over 25 but the ones over 35 all this technology is new I still don't text but some day I might start.

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have never dealt with vendors over the net so I'm new at this and like it so far talk about info overload lol and a lot of opinions. Not every one is an expert some can just drive.
P.S. I just got on facebook 2 or 3 years ago and don't know how that all works yet but getting better. My typing that I thought I'd never use has improved quite considerably also with out spell check you probably could not read my words. It's funny most on this forum are over 25 but the ones over 35 all this technology is new I still don't text but some day I might start.

Dude, you're 37...not 67. You're the generation of Atari, Nintendo, Comador 64, etc.

LOL just pulling your chain. Glad you're on here. If you have questions about the vendors or products feel free to ask. Between everyone on here we've got just about every base covered.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got out of the box put in air conditioning 2 years ago its nice but the raptor is the nicest thing I own now. if not for ethanol I would still be in the box couldn't afford those fancy toys I did buy a nintendo 64 8 years ago and 1 year ago the wife bought the kids a wee that thing was cool for a few week lol. any way I ask a lot of questions and am fairly open so if I ask on a thread it is fine with me if I get a pm about it and if so I don't put it back on a thread.

cage1993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might take a little different view on this than some. I worked in the aftermarket vehicle accessory business for several years, and have a bit of insight into some of the things that go on. First off, a certain percentage of all products are going to fail. If you are producing on any type of scale your going to have some issues. It doesn't matter how careful or precise your operations are, at some point you are going to get faulty materials from a supplier at the very least. Getting a faulty batch of pipe or bolts etc. is a nightmare, and you usually don't realize it until something fails. Hopefully, not catastrophically! Paint comes in not mixed correctly, etc. etc. The test of the companies character is how they handle these issues. It appears most of the vendors here handle them promptly and professionally. Kudos.

But here is what I'm more interested in. True comparisons of products. Not every product out there is going to meet the needs of every end user. With a bit of common sense people can compare product X, Y, and Z so that others can evaluate what they need for their application. Unless one of the products is just total crap, you can usually do this without being offensive. This doesn't just help the consumer, it helps the manufacturers target what they need to do to either improve their product or make it more appealing to a broader market. MBRP recently put up a post asking what we, as Raptor owners, wanted in a new exhaust. It's the same concept. If everybody doesn't jump up and let RPG know that 90% of us want the bump stop kit available in HOT PINK powdercoat, then they will never do it! Not every product out there is going to be the same quality, but quite often the price point reflects that. I might decide to go with product Z, even knowing it is inferior to X and Y, because it serves my needs and is at the price point I can afford. Constructive criticism is usually met with cordial acknowledgement by reputable vendors. If it isn't, then they are probably not the type most of us would want to do business with anyway. The problem is the keyboard bravery which leads to destructive criticism. Thats what the forum as a whole should strive to avoid. It's just as easy to say (type) "product X should use grade 8 bolts vs. grade 5 bolts" as it is to say "product X is a flimsy piece of crap"! sorry to be so long winded, just my .02!

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
It's off roading and things do break. What it really boils down to is how the vendor stands behind their product.

I can speak from first hand experience:

boweddeavers.jpg

Deaver is a stand up company and Jeff is a very fair guy. He, without any hesitation swapped my springs out...no questions asked. I've beat on my new +2" springs harder than I had the original +1's and these new springs have stood up to everything I've thrown at them.

I only wanted to post this up because this is a great example of how a perceived problem can be remedied and does in fact tell the true character of a company.

A companies reputation isn't always based on a product never failing but how the company handles that rare problem for the consumer.

I would highly recommend Deaver to anyone that is looking for springs.

I'm sure National makes a quality product as well. No bias here... :waytogo:

Hmmm, my +2 Deaver's are like this too......should I call Deaver about this?

As for the whole idea of this thread, I think it's a good idea. If anyone comes in here and see's allegations against certain companies and just takes them as truth right away, then it's on them for not reading and understanding the first post and intent in the first place.

panda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the whole idea of this thread, I think it's a good idea. If anyone comes in here and see's allegations against certain companies and just takes them as truth right away, then it's on them for not reading and understanding the first post and intent in the first place.

Exactly - I think most people missed the entire point of the thread. The idea isn't to bad mouth vendors, or spread things that you've "heard".

This is where you post PROOF, and that should include the vendor's response or resolution to any issues. No one expects products to be perfect, but that's why customer service is important. We're trying to stop the rumors here, not add fuel to that fire.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great thread J I'm surprised it didn't get started a while ago lol I'm like most of the guys on here I've done business with a lot of the vendors on here and I will say every single one of them ate some of the absolute best I've ever had the pleasure of doing business with. I do my research and ask questions like everyone else and thanks to FRF and the awesome members on here I am very happy with my truck :waytogo:

I've read a few of the threads about some of the companies but I personally don't pay that much attention to the person doing the bashing I mean yea everyone is entitled to their opinion but at the same time it's common courtesy to address the company/individual before saying anything on a forum.

On a good note I got my stage 3 kit in from RPG :peace: and I can't wait to throw it on and go have some fun haha

JRASIK_Cdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's one that just came in regarding ADD. Again, not a quote:

"I heard that ADD bumpers fall off."

Anyone who's had an ADD bumper fall off, would you please explain?

I'd call BS on this one. Obviously the 'sh*t happens*/failure factor can happen with any product.

I have had an ADD front stealth bumper for months now and regularly fly down high tension pole lines with deep washes (like a a story or so deep). I've plowed the front end into the side of the washes going in and out and the worst I've had is a dented lower skid plate (I kind of like it- I put a giant band aid on it). My bumper is still bolted on too (not welded on yet).