BrandX vs BrandY vs BrandZ: WTF's up with all the cloak and dagger?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why do I keep hearing about these PMs being fired around, saying how Product A from Brand X sucks but that Product B from Brand Y rules? Or that Brand Z has had dozens of failures according to Brand X but the evidence is in the same file that proves there was a second JFK shooter?

Seriously guys... sup with all that?

Here's what I propose: have you received a PM about a product or brand that claims something positive or negative? Have you heard thru the grapevine something everyone should know? Post it here. Or, if you want your name left out of it, forward whatever it is to me and I'll post it up myself (you have my word you're name will never be retold). Lets give everyone a chance to see all this stuff out in the open, discuss it out in the open, prove or disprove it out in the open...

Whattya say we sack up and stop hiding behind our keyboards? If there's a problem, we all benefit from exploring it. Quit being so selfish.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

LOL well that didn't take long.

First up. Deavers. Apparently these pics have been floating around the intertubes for a few weeks. They're of Deavers springs "bent"
deav1.jpg

Anyone have anything to offer in terms of the context or circumstances?

UPDATE: Raptizzle explains here: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/b...dz-wtfs-up-all-cloak-dagger-11995/#post173145

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Another one. This is not a direct quote. This is my rewriting of what was sent my way:

"I have heard that RPG has had a few of their bump stop kits fail."

Anyone have pictures or details on the failures?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agreed. We all benefit from sharing information, including any vendors that may have issues with one of their products.

Buyers need to be aware of potential issues, and vendors need to be motivated to resolve them.
And I would add to that, a buyer needs help separating fact from fiction. I'm seeing a ton of claims being made lately, with little or no fact to back them up. Hopefully this thread helps bridge that gap.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Another:

"The new Fox 3.0's are not real 3.0"ers. They're 2.5"! Fox is false advertising!"

This one I'll take a pot shot at. Experts, correct me if I'm wrong: the industry standard is to measure the outside diameter of the shock body and list that as the shock "size". So regardless if its an ICON 3.0, or King 3.0 or Fox 3.0, if you put a caliper around the shock body you should measure 3".

The 2.5" in this context refers to the piston size. Nobody in the industry lists their piston size in their model names.

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
another:

"the new fox 3.0's are not real 3.0"ers. They're 2.5"! Fox is false advertising!"

this one i'll take a pot shot at. Experts, correct me if i'm wrong: The industry standard is to measure the outside diameter of the shock body and list that as the shock "size". So regardless if its an icon 3.0, or king 3.0 or fox 3.0, if you put a caliper around the shock body you should measure 3".

The 2.5" in this context refers to the piston size. Nobody in the industry lists their piston size in their model names.

lol. Fud.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Another regarding the Fox:

"Internal bypasses don't work. That's why nobody else in the industry is using them!"

^^ That borders on marketing propaganda rather than straight up fact or fiction. This thread's point isn't to argue stuff like that. The only comment I can offer in this regard is this: doesn't Fox have a patent on the internal bypass design? Could that be why nobody else uses it?

If you want to know more, please fire up a new thread since, again, that one is more about design concepts and philosophies rather than dispelling rumor or proving facts.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, that negative arched deaver doesn't look good, and is that top leaf cracked/broke/missing?? Yikes. I'm sure deaver will step up and correct it.

I haven't had any catastrophic failures with my RPG stage 3 kit. Interested to see what rumors are floating around about it.

Is pinion angle with aftermarket springs appropriated for this thread?? I got a story with real measurements, specs, and basic accepted theory.