braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I finally have money to spend on my Gen 1 Beast. I want to Improve the Brakes stopping power. Need advice im sure this has been discussed in the past just getting tired of researching...lol. I'm currently doing some restoration stuff and Engine stuff but my only complaint since I bought brand new back in 2012 is stopping this beast. Im keeping my stock wheels. So what works best that will fit? I've seen advertising for many brands but would like to get real life experiences, without loosing the longevity of the stick set up

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Options for sticking with stock 17's would be the Power Stop upgraded pad/rotor kit for the stock setup, or the Alcon big brake kits. Power Stop kit runs around 450-ish for the truck and tow kit. Alcon runs about 7000 for the front and rear kit.

OP
OP
Nesc204

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Options for sticking with stock 17's would be the Power Stop upgraded pad/rotor kit for the stock setup, or the Alcon big brake kits. Power Stop kit runs around 450-ish for the truck and tow kit. Alcon runs about 7000 for the front and rear kit.
Is 7000 a typo or do ya mean 700? What are you using and do you have a noticeable difference ? Is the longevity of milage the same? I know that can all depend on loads and driving habits but baseing on normal every day use

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Alcons are a 6 piston front, 4 piston rear caliper that fit behind stock wheels. A number of threads on them. I don't recall off hand if a Gen 1 is running them or not. You can get the fronts for $1500. That's calipers, brackets, rotors and pads.

Edit:
20220621_111156.jpg

Rear
20220621_121805.jpg

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Alcons are a 6 piston front, 4 piston rear caliper that fit behind stock wheels. A number of threads on them. I don't recall off hand if a Gen 1 is running them or not. You can get the fronts for $1500. That's calipers, brackets, rotors and pads.

Edit:
View attachment 386374

Rear
View attachment 386375

Where are you finding the Alcon kit for 1500 bucks?

OP
OP
Nesc204

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you finding the Alcon kit for 1500 bucks?
Yeh. I just went on there website and it is 3,400 just for the front. So front and rear would probably be close to 7k. Thinking the Power stop kit is looking more attractive unless if someone knows better. Are you using them Cody? I can get a Remanufactured engine for 7k

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeh. I just went on there website and it is 3,400 just for the front. So front and rear would probably be close to 7k. Thinking the Power stop kit is looking more attractive unless if someone knows better. Are you using them Cody? I can get a Remanufactured engine for 7k
Powerstop is just pads and rotors. The calipers are just red painted remanufactured. Not going to make a big difference. The Powerstops are still 4 pistons and the Alcons are 6. 70% of braking is done up front so I think if you just got the front kit that's all you'd need.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I have the Power Stop Z36 Truck and Tow kit with the red painted calipers. I'm very happy with it. The Alcons are very nice, but 7000 is a large pill to swallow.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Powerstop is just pads and rotors. The calipers are just red painted remanufactured. Not going to make a big difference. The Powerstops are still 4 pistons and the Alcons are 6. 70% of braking is done up front so I think if you just got the front kit that's all you'd need.
Since the Powerstop kit is just pads and rotors, it’s still using the factory 2 piston front calipers.