GEN 2 Aftermarket Brake Pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ceramic pads are great for low dust, low noise and long life, otherwise not so much. I think one of the advantages to the big brake kits is the different compounds they are using with those systems, not as much as the size as everyone is thinking. My Miata runs DTC-60 pads on track and they bite HARD with R-compound tires, really hard. When I swap the car back to street use and drop in the ceramic pads there is significantly less brake force, same sized rotors and same exact calipers.

Because I use Hawk pads on my track car that means I also understand their numbering system. The first number is the backing plate (HB672), then a letter for the material (Y, P and Z) and finally the thickness in total inches.

It looks like the backing plate for the F150 is HB672.

Hawk offers 4 materials for trucks:

SD – SuperDuty Severe Duty Truck

- Engineered from technology used in heavy- duty on/off- highway and Military applications - Extremely high coefficient of friction and fade resistance - Recommended for professional fleets (greater than 1 ton) and light trucks towing excessive payloads - Unequaled For Severe Duty Use* Hawk Performance SuperDuty brake pads utilize our OE and aftermarket severe-duty friction technology. This product has been engineered for class 2 and higher on-highway commercial trucks. This unique ferrocarbon material delivers extremely high fade resistance, with superior high temperature rotor and brake pad wear. This product is not recommended for personal or recreational trucks and SUVs.
#HB672P.714

LTS – Light Truck & SUV Brake Pads

- Designed for large brake systems found on full-size trucks - Engineered using technology from Fleet & Military applications - Ferro-Carbon friction material delivers more braking power and fade resistance than OE pads - Low dust - Excellent pad and rotor life - Virtually noise-free - Ideal for import and domestic full-size trucks, vans and SUV’s (1/2 ton) with moderate towing and hauling duty
#HB672Y.714

Performance Ceramic - Luxury & Touring Compound

- Extremely quiet–engineered to reduce brake NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) - Increased stopping power - Increased rotor life - Extended pad life - Ultra-low dust - Stable friction output - Ideal for import and domestic sports cars and 
luxury cars, sport trucks, vans and SUVs with light towing and hauling duty
#HB672Z.714

HPS

Greatly Improved Stopping Power and Less Fade
If you're building a high-performance track truck, off-road truck, or just want more stopping power on your street truck than your typical ceramic pads, then Hawk's HPS "High Performance Street" brake pads are just the thing you've been waiting for. These pads are some Hawk's most popular across their entire brake pad lineup and are the go to choice for aggressive F150 builds that see plenty of street driving. The HPS pads provide up to 40% more stopping power than your factory semi-metallic brake pads while keeping fade down to a minimum. So, if your 2004 to 2012 F150 goes pretty fast, but needs to stop in a big hurry, Hawk's HPS Brake pads are your winning ticket.

Brake Compound Designed for Aggressive Street Trucks

The Hawk F150 HPS series of brake pads use a very specific and specially formulated Ferro-Ceramic friction compound that provides your truck's braking system with huge initial bite and more stopping power than stock. While the HPS compound is extremely powerful, it's still fairly easy on your truck's rotors and produces low levels of dust and reduced pad wear. While slightly louder than Hawk's Performance Ceramic Pads, the HPS series is extremely quiet for a performance brake pad to help maintain your truck's smooth, quiet ride. The HPS pads fit your truck's factory calipers as drop-in replacements for stock and will work with your stock rotors, as well as stock-replacement aftermarket rotors.

F is the pad material for HPS. I can find older F150 brakes that used HPS compound but nothing with a HB672 backing plate. HB672F.714 would be the ticket if they made it. I will call them tomorrow and see if they plan to.

CrotchCritter

Reaction score
I know this is a resurrection of an ancient long dead thread, but I'm curious if you ever found anything out. Also, I'm looking for some aftermarket pads for stopping power if anyone has suggestions (other than the almost $6,000 Alcon kit)