braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Then the brackets. Need to order 2 of them. Wait until after you get your calipers to make sure you order the correct brackets.

There are several treads about the installation. You may also need aftermarket tie rod ends.

I hit the new posts button and look at all different sections. Add information to help out if I can. An enthusiasts enjoys all generations. Plus it gives me something to read while drinking my soy, non fat, double latte, sitting on the toilet to pee at Starbucks.

Are there different bracket options available? I've only seen 1. I want to say the other downside to the Alcon kit is you can't run dust shields anymore and they need to be removed. We had talked about the kits before in the Gen 1 section. Downside to not getting those through Alcon is they only come in black. I guess you could gut them and get them blasted and re-coated. I can't remember what the reason for needing the tie rod kit was though either.

I'm glad you have a sense of humor. ;)

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
The bracket options depend on the brake calipers you get. But they might all be 2021+ calipers. That's what I have, no fitment issues on older trucks. You may need the tie rod end due to being too close to the brake rotor. And some aftermarket wheels might not fit. I had both issues when I did mine.

20220621_090106.jpg

You can just use car paint on the calipers. I had mine done in primer, I mean Leadfoot.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The bracket options depend on the brake calipers you get. But they might all be 2021+ calipers. That's what I have, no fitment issues on older trucks. You may need the tie rod end due to being too close to the brake rotor. And some aftermarket wheels might not fit. I had both issues when I did mine.

View attachment 386503

You can just use car paint on the calipers. I had mine done in primer, I mean Leadfoot.

Sounds like you'd be best off just ordering the tie rod end kits and returning them if you don't need them just to be safe. It's too bad you can't get the rears that cheap. :( I wonder how they are able to get those calipers, pads, rotor, and hardware for so cheap.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Sounds like you'd be best off just ordering the tie rod end kits and returning them if you don't need them just to be safe. It's too bad you can't get the rears that cheap. :( I wonder how they are able to get those calipers, pads, rotor, and hardware for so cheap.

Correct. I had the SVC ones on the bench before I did the swap. Along with new brake lines and fluid.

Augster

Reaction score
Now I finally have money to spend on my Gen 1 Beast. I want to Improve the Brakes stopping power. Need advice im sure this has been discussed in the past just getting tired of researching...lol. I'm currently doing some restoration stuff and Engine stuff but my only complaint since I bought brand new back in 2012 is stopping this beast. Im keeping my stock wheels. So what works best that will fit? I've seen advertising for many brands but would like to get real life experiences, without loosing the longevity of the stick set up

I don't know if you've tried different pads, but in my experience, it can make a whole world of difference. I, too, had once contemplated going the big brake route: I bought my truck used and I went through massive brake fade about half-way down a long, steep, winding descent off a ridge (maybe several thousand feet elevation change). I discovered later that the relatively new brake pads were Motorcraft organics. Switching to AC Delco Professional Ceramics on simply resurfaced OEM rotors has so far completely eliminated brake fade, and noticeably improving braking responsiveness and stopping distance, both on and off road.

My next upgrade are extended-length stainless steel braids from Crown Performance; currently sitting on the shelf ready to install. May be some slotted rotors someday.

I would sure love a set of aftermarket 6-piston clamps but at the moment can't justify the price versus its performance return; a blower is higher on my list of unnecessary spendy splurges...

OP
OP
Nesc204

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you've tried different pads, but in my experience, it can make a whole world of difference. I, too, had once contemplated going the big brake route: I bought my truck used and I went through massive brake fade about half-way down a long, steep, winding descent off a ridge (maybe several thousand feet elevation change). I discovered later that the relatively new brake pads were Motorcraft organics. Switching to AC Delco Professional Ceramics on simply resurfaced OEM rotors has so far completely eliminated brake fade, and noticeably improving braking responsiveness and stopping distance, both on and off road.

My next upgrade are extended-length stainless steel braids from Crown Performance; currently sitting on the shelf ready to install. May be some slotted rotors someday.

I would sure love a set of aftermarket 6-piston clamps but at the moment can't justify the price versus its performance return; a blower is higher on my list of unnecessary spendy splurges...
Yeh. I've always been using OEM rotors and pads. During the past summer I almost got in a crash being stupid by driving to fast running late to a MX race, loaded with about 500lbs of stuff. Floored it to pass a utility truck in front of me didn't realize the lane was closing, had to stand on the brakes at just below 100 mph and holy crap I thought I was going to die. So definitely making a change. Thinking of doing the Power Stop rotors and pads 1st that Cody recommended. Would love to put the Alcons kit on but don't have that coin now as my truck is currently getting Professional Tune done cause of the KOOKS Long Tube Headers and CAI installation just done. Then the beast is getting some restoration done, fixing all corrosion from NE winters.

OP
OP
Nesc204

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you want to go faster before you can stop better? Makes sense.
LOL. Yeh I know. Im NOT rt in the Head. To many lost arguments with Gravity landing on my head doing Dirt bikes all my life and playing HS football back in the 80s being taught to use your helmet as a weapon, we called them Slobber Knockers, when you hit someone so hard the spit Flys out of one's face. Ive been keeping safer stopping distances since then. My truck should be done in a couple of months so the only time I be driving it from making it faster is to my friends body shop after the Tune