Brake Thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score

"Brake Thoughts"​

Brakes? Yeah....brakes are good.

When I was a kid, my dad would do all his own auto maintenance. Piece-meal. I remember one time he started a brake job. Removed the front brakes, then put the wheels back on. We hopped in the car to go get the new pads. He liked driving a little too fast. He cut someone off and I'm hanging on for life gripping the dash and the window pillar. I told him to take it easy and slow down, he almost just got us wrecked. He said (NOT joking), "They have brakes, don't they!??!" I turned red as a beet and yelled back, "WE DON'T! WHY WOULD YOU ASS-UME THEY DO??????????!!!?!"

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ABS was not designed for shortest stopping distance. It is designed to help the driver keep control of the car WHILE braking. These days in conjunction with active stability control, etc.

My bitch with the FORD system is with OE KO2s and both sets of available OE wheels, and the OE brake pads I can easily ride the threshold short of ABS activation (generally shorter braking than under ABS activation) on even tarmac. All bets are off on broken/bumpy/dusty/dirty/slick/etc surfaces. Under dry conditions I have baked the brakes on multiple occasions inducing fade. I also living in a land of 75-85 mph speed limits and too short off ramps. For those who've not been trained to do so, I get the "if you can active the ABS" comments. However, there absolutely are those who's blood pressure goes up every time we hear that nonsense.

I no longer suffer after installing the Alcon kit. Of which there is video evidence of FIRST stop significant distance reducions much less after multiple stops.

NHbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just about to hit 60K on my 2019 Raptor and trying to decide if I stick with stock set up or switch to a premium brakes with the slotted rotors. I Live in an area with lots of gravel roads and heavily salted paved roads in the winter. Has anyone had issues with the slotted rotors picking up debris.
Yes the search function does work, AND it OK to ask questions.
I've never seen anyone show concern about gravel roads and slotted brakes. That would be an unusual search.
I put on slotted and drilled rotors and am very happy. I tow some and like the look. Waiting to see how they hold up to salt.
So, spend the money and enjoy your truck!
Wool Wax and Fluid Film are your friends in salt country.
;-)

Morgan

Reaction score
Look into the Police Package brakes.
They're louder than stock(metallic or semi pads), will probably wear out rotors faster but have great pedal feel, are low dust and don't fade under hard braking.
Looking at alcons own stated advantages I couldn't rationalize blowing 1000s more for marginal gains over what these provided.

I think you’re saying the police package brakes squeal. Kinda makes sense If you think about it. (no offense to our LEO friends)

KingKoopa17

Reaction score
My original brakes were shot after only ~35k miles. Powerstop seemed like a good option, but I honestly wasn't interested in the drilled/slotted route (seems to be too much discrepancy as far as those go concerning an off-road vehicle). Instead I leaned more for a stock replacement and went with their Z17 Evolution Geomet coated rotors brake kit. They seem to have good stopping power and I haven't seen much brake dust since the install. I think they look nice as well while not sacrificing any performance (as far as I can tell). Assuming they hold up for a decent amount of mileage I wouldn't mind just sticking with them.
IMG_20230705_163812_2.jpg
IMG_20230705_210054.jpg
IMG_20230705_163804_4.jpg
IMG_20230705_210046.jpg
*Ignore my hasty caliper paint job. Thought I wanted dark blue for the subtlety, but once I got them back on I realized I wanted a lighter blue. Maybe next time.

FDNY-L107

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can fit the R1 kit in a 17” wheel. I did it but would NOT do it again nor recommend it. Lots of ‘custom’ work had to be done to clear everything, stupid expensive, pads squeaks like crazy and overall not a signifiant improvement. In the end what I ended up spending, with the help of a buddy of mine who owns a shop, was ridiculous. Highly disappointed.

IMG_3150.jpeg

STHenry

Reaction score
I recommend the Wilwood kit for sure. I just finished installing the kit on the front and they are a huge improvement over stock brakes and fit under the stock 17 inch wheels. Was able to get the kit from Hammer Performance as part of the early buy. Highly recommend those guys as well.