Brake system upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm shocked the Raptor R didn't bring a set of beefed up factory brakes to the F150. They didn't even change the pad compound from the base Raptor. Maybe next year...

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The new rear rotors showed up Thursday, so those are good to go. I also just ordered the red RPG Offroad half tie rod ends so I don't run into any fitment issues during the install.

I decided that I would take all the hardware pieces and steel wool them to clean them back up. The machined aluminum brackets I am steel wooling to clean the corrosion off them, bench polishing them, and then 2K clear coating them to seal them. The brake pads I cleaned up a bit with some light sandpaper, masked the pad material off, and painted them with satin black chassis paint.

The calipers I'll be cleaning up, lightly scuffing, and then painting them with G2 epoxy caliper paint. The only reason for doing this is because they just have some chips in the powder coating, plus they have very little use on them, and disassembling them to blast and powder coat them with having to buy rebuild kits seems like a waste of money and time. I've had awesome results with the G2 paint in the past, and this way I don't need to disassemble the calipers to refresh them.

The rotors originally come silver zinc coated on the entire rotor. The fronts are used, but the rears are new. I'm wondering if it would be worth trying to find like a silver zinc spray coating to refresh the fronts, or if I go and paint the hats. Thoughts?

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No. The zinc coating is just to protect it before install. Storage, shipping etc.

I was thinking it's not just the zinc spray stuff that comes on them like cheaper rotors, but it appears they are actually Geomet coated instead. Wonder if it's worth masking the braking surface and painting the rest like black or something. Would be nice if they came with black electrocoated hats and vanes to start with.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Think you are over thinking brake rotors.

I'm not really wanting to spend 2k on some brake rotors to have them look like shit in a year once they are all corroded from being in the elements. If I can keep them from corroding before install, then why not?

Also, just ordered 2 of the red G2 caliper paint kits off Amazon.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Spray paint them then. Works for about 25K miles and you'll have to respray. I just do it if it looks needed when I rotate tires every 5K.