Brake system upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One of the other downsides I'm seeing with the Alcon kit is they won't clear the dust shields, so they need to be removed. Also, you have to cut the locating tabs off the brake lines as well since the Alcon calipers have no provision for them. Still haven't seen any other brake upgrades that will fit under 17" wheels besides the Alcons. Guess that means I'll just stick with the Powerstop Z36 front and rear kit with the Crown Performance 6 piece line kit.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One of the other downsides I'm seeing with the Alcon kit is they won't clear the dust shields, so they need to be removed. Also, you have to cut the locating tabs off the brake lines as well since the Alcon calipers have no provision for them. Still haven't seen any other brake upgrades that will fit under 17" wheels besides the Alcons. Guess that means I'll just stick with the Powerstop Z36 front and rear kit with the Crown Performance 6 piece line kit.
Dust shields? What are those? Lol

Assuming you mean a tab like on oem that holds the brake line in position while you tighten it, my crown lines did not have the locating tab.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All depends on what you are looking for.

I wanted the most street cred at Starbucks, so I went with front and rear Alcon.

I'm not cool enough for Starbucks, so no Alcons for me I guess. lol Being as they are the only brake upgrade that fits under a 17" wheel though I'd love to see a test of them vs something like an upgraded pad and rotor kit. I know they're gonna be better than the completely stock brakes, but I know that a good aftermarket pad and rotor can make a huge difference over stock. So far the only real testing I've seen is just some stopping distance tests over completely stock brakes. Between losing the dust shields as well as the fact they are 7500 dollars for the front and rears is a very tough call as that money would buy a lot of other mods that I know are more proven.

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I was hoping to find was some other kind of brake upgrade/swap, like an adapter kit for Mustang GT PP or Dodge Challenger Brembos adapting to our trucks, so we can have the stiff forged alum 4 or 6 piston brake advantages and source the parts used or something? So many out at junk yards and such... Anyone toyed with those options?

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What I was hoping to find was some other kind of brake upgrade/swap, like an adapter kit for Mustang GT PP or Dodge Challenger Brembos adapting to our trucks, so we can have the stiff forged alum 4 or 6 piston brake advantages and source the parts used or something? So many out at junk yards and such... Anyone toyed with those options?

It would be interesting to see for sure someone go this route. I ended up purchasing a set of used front and rear Alcons recently, so I'll be going to that.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bought a set of used front and rear Alcron brake kits minus the rear rotors from a forum member here and they came in a couple days ago. I also ordered a new set of the rear rotors from EverythingF150Aftermarket.com, which should be in tomorrow. I still need to pick out a set of tie rod ends to clear the brakes.

I'm currently going through and cleaning up and refreshing the brakes. I was debating having the calipers re-powder coated, but I think I might just pick up some G2 caliper paint kits instead. To re-powder coat them I'd have to get rebuild kits and pull the pistons and seals out, and the brakes do not have many miles on them and the only issue is they have some chips from use.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I had my Alcons repainted with car paint. Much less of a hassle than ripping the calipers apart for powder coat.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had my Alcons repainted with car paint. Much less of a hassle than ripping the calipers apart for powder coat.

Yea, I really would hate to take them apart to powder coat them since they are in perfect shape minus some chips in the powder coating. I'm mostly just wanting to freshen then up looks wise. Probably just go red again but maybe do the Alcon letters and logo black. Haven't decided for sure. The thing is though you aren't really going to be able to see them under the 17's much.