Brake system upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys! Currently have the Powerstop Z36 heavy duty truck front and rear brake kit as well as the Powerstop red powercoated calipers, Crown Performance 6-piece stainless brake kit with red sheathing in a 3" lift length, and the system was flushed and refilled with full synthetic DOT 4 fluid. Have you guys found that the stock brakes with good parts are more than capable?

EDIT: Looks like the only big brake kit that fits under a 17" wheel is the Alcon kit, but requires tie rod adapters. The Wilwood and Baer kits require a 20" wheel. I can't imagine the Alcon kit adds much braking performance over stock, especially for the 3500+ dollar price tag after you buy the tie rod end adapters. Also, there is no matching rear kit for the Alcons either. I definitely don't want to run a 20" wheel either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with the stock brake system and I service with stock parts. That said I've heard that superduty brake pads are more aggressive and GM slotted rotors are good additions.

That's mostly what I have read as well. I understand the stock brakes should be pretty decent since it's a truck that's made to tow weight, was just wondering if anyone had done any of the big brake upgrades and noticed it made any serious difference. I feel like having to go to 20's to fit the bigger brakes is quite a trade off.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can read reviews by plenty of folks about the Alcon Kits that love then, Nick from Apollo Optics even did a full video on stock brakes, stopping distances, etc., and Alcon brakes, makes me question going with Alcon, if I could just get past the price.

With that, your best bet is to simply go with the best option availalbe for OE components.
The best that I have run, and now run on all of our vehicles, is EBC yellow stuff pads, USR (ultimate slotted rotors), and stainless steel brake lines.
You can go with EBC red stuff, but they wear out in like 10,000 miles, but do offer a slight advantage of bite over the yellow.
As for rotors, you want a nice slotted rotor, don't buy the hype of cross-drilled, as they tend to crack-you can't chamfer the inside of the hole where it is in the center vent and it causes the rotor to start cracking from the inside. Also, cross-drilled rotors put more pressure on the pads getting material stuck in them (e.g. mud, rocks, etc.) and end up causing more damage anyway.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I can't imagine the Alcon kit adds much braking performance over stock, especially for the 3500+ dollar price tag after you buy the tie rod end adapters. Also, there is no matching rear kit for the Alcons either. I definitely don't want to run a 20" wheel either.

6 piston > 2 piston in the front.

And here is the matching rear kit.

20220621_121805.jpg

I have the front and rear Alcon kit on my truck. Is it cheap? No. All depends on what your goal is with the truck.

You can read reviews by plenty of folks about the Alcon Kits that love then, Nick from Apollo Optics even did a full video on stock brakes, stopping distances, etc.,

Correct. A number of us here upgraded to Alcons.

Here is the referenced video

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
6 piston > 2 piston in the front.

And here is the matching rear kit.

View attachment 365610

I have the front and rear Alcon kit on my truck. Is it cheap? No. All depends on what your goal is with the truck.

Correct. A number of us here upgraded to Alcons.

Here is the referenced video

Isn't this on a Gen 2? Also, number of pistons doesn't always mean better. The overall surface area of the pistons makes a large difference as well.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Yes, on a Gen 2. Same kit for a Gen 1 2010-2014.

The Alcon rotors are thicker than the factory.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Isn't this on a Gen 2?

Yes, on a Gen 2. Same kit for a Gen 1 2010-2014.

The Alcon rotors are thicker than the factory.

Are the rotors the same diameter though? If they fit under a 17" wheel I'd imagine they gotta be about the same since the factory brakes fill up a 17" wheel pretty closely. I get thicker technically will help dissipate temperature better since there's more mass. Also, another question. That testing they did was with 100% stock brakes correct? No upgraded pads and rotors, just stock pads and rotors? I'm just wondering how the Alcons would stack up against a good pad and rotor upgrade on the "stock" brakes. Looks like for the front and rear Alcon kit with the tie rod adapters it's like 7000?