Brake system upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrGable27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with the stock brake system and I service with stock parts. That said I've heard that superduty brake pads are more aggressive and GM slotted rotors are good additions.
Gonna be honest, I went with the superduty pads and they’re pretty ass. I expected something slightly more aggressive than stock, but these seem to have even less bite. Idk, maybe I’m just out of my mind or got a defective set.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Honestly, if you are on the fence about the money for Alcons just go with a Power Stop set up from one of our vendors. Better than stock.

I have the Powerstop Z36 heavy duty truck front and rear kit currently with the matching powder coated red calipers and 6-piece Crown stainless brake line set. It's been great, I've just been wondering if it's worth upgrading further.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I have the Powerstop Z36 heavy duty truck front and rear kit currently with the matching powder coated red calipers and 6-piece Crown stainless brake line set. It's been great, I've just been wondering if it's worth upgrading further.

Like I said in my first post, depends on your use.

Big tires, high speed off road, towing it might be worth it. Parking at Starbucks, no. Unless your Starbucks is in a high end neighborhood.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Like I said in my first post, depends on your use.

Big tires, high speed off road, towing it might be worth it. Parking at Starbucks, no. Unless your Starbucks is in a high end neighborhood.

Only coffee I drink these days comes from one of my customers that runs a traveling coffee bus and does grounds. Not much for the expensive places. I just hadn't heard a lot about people upgrading to the Alcon, Baer, or Wilwood setups so I was curious.

M60gunr

Reaction score
Hey guys! Currently have the Powerstop Z36 heavy duty truck front and rear brake kit as well as the Powerstop red powercoated calipers, Crown Performance 6-piece stainless brake kit with red sheathing in a 3" lift length, and the system was flushed and refilled with full synthetic DOT 4 fluid. Have you guys found that the stock brakes with good parts are more than capable?

EDIT: Looks like the only big brake kit that fits under a 17" wheel is the Alcon kit, but requires tie rod adapters. The Wilwood and Baer kits require a 20" wheel. I can't imagine the Alcon kit adds much braking performance over stock, especially for the 3500+ dollar price tag after you buy the tie rod end adapters. Also, there is no matching rear kit for the Alcons either. I definitely don't want to run a 20" wheel either.
I have Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors and the Power Stop pads on my Gen1. Have had them on for about 5 months now and love them so far. Problem I was encountering with the stock oem rotors was warping. Went through 3 sets of rotors since 2014 prior to purchasing Power Stops. So far have not experienced any warping with my powerstops and the braking seems much better. Next upgrade will be the calipers. Brembo has a nice set up, but a not cheap.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors and the Power Stop pads on my Gen1. Have had them on for about 5 months now and love them so far. Problem I was encountering with the stock oem rotors was warping. Went through 3 sets of rotors since 2014 prior to purchasing Power Stops. So far have not experienced any warping with my powerstops and the braking seems much better. Next upgrade will be the calipers. Brembo has a nice set up, but a not cheap.

Yea, I've had extremely good luck with them with the dozens of kits I've installed on different customer vehicles as well. I just was curious if it was gonna be worth looking at something like the Alcon kit, or if most had found the Powerstop Z36 kit with properly working calipers and stainless lines was plenty. I just know I'd like to stick with a 17" wheel, so the Alcons are the only option that will fit under them. The thing is the Alcon front and rear kit is like 7500 dollars, and that's not a small amount of money to spend on a mod that may or may not be worth it for myself.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
I have the PowerStops on my 20's with 37's and they are fine. I have PowerStops on all of my vehicles, including performance cars. Put them on my Raptor almost immediately after getting it. Was a nice upgrade to the OEM brakes.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the PowerStops on my 20's with 37's and they are fine. I have PowerStops on all of my vehicles, including performance cars. Put them on my Raptor almost immediately after getting it. Was a nice upgrade to the OEM brakes.

Yea, I'm thinking of just continuing to run the PowerStop setup. The only upgrade from where I'm currently at is the front and rear Alcon setup if I want to stay with 17's, which after you get the supporting stuff is 7500. It's not that I can't afford that, I'm just thinking I'd rather spend that money on a superchager setup.