Bought 18 Raptor w/ Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve19Raptor

Reaction score
No visible mods to the truck or like you said I would have kept looking. My actions with the dealership have stalled--last comment to me was "I'd give you top dollar for it if you want to sell it back" I want what I paid for it back at the least. I contacted FOMOCO just to see if they had any ideas or could advise me on my next step concerning the dealership. Been two weeks now with a promise to call me back within 24 hours several times. No call yet. Should have stuck with my old platinum.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea Plats are nice I do not understand why Raps don't come with the massaging seats.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My beef is with the salesman, (the GM of the dealership) telling me all service was up to date and he wasn't aware of any mods to the truck. Finance guy tells me as I'm leaving that he'd been driving the truck and that it has a hot tune on it. I get home and get Ford Pass on my phone to see the two updates needed on the truck. Take it to my closest dealer--can't touch it. So I go back to the dealer I bought it from and they say oh ya we can fix it. Turns out they can't get around the tune the GM said it didn't have. But, in talking with the service manager he tells me when they traded for the truck they tried to update the cam phaser issue but couldn't get around the tune so they themselves had opened a case with Ford to see a way around it. No solution so they sold the truck--to my *******. I would hope Ford might stand behind it and put a new ECM in the truck so that I have a truck that can be updated
No manufacturer is going to pay for a replacement PCM that can’t be updated due to it being modified with an aftermarket calibration. That’s simply not reasonable. This is between you and the dealer at this point, they should not have sold the truck knowing that the recalls could not be performed. There are laws against selling vehicles that have open recalls, but I believe it only applies to safety related ones.

EDIT: I searched and Ford that released a bulletin with instructions on how to restore the PCM to the correct calibration. General Service Bulletin (GSB) 21-7122. Reference Module Programming Routine #2. The instructions are similar to the “blank path” I mentioned previously. If that doesn’t do it, I would request that the dealer replace the PCM on their dime.

Last edited:

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea Plats are nice I do not understand why Raps don't come with the massaging seats.
Though I like massaging seats I disagree with the extra fluff sold on a Baja truck. Especially a sunroof. Added weight on the roof…
But I would support a roll cage option. I am of the small group here that actually goes off road though.

Sorry OP did not mean to derail the thread. It looks like @FordTechOne came though for you with a fix to your problem. Good luck.

Frank R

Reaction score
You can try calling the tuners that are out there like Cobb, MPT and there are a few other ones give them your Vin number and they might be able to find out who bought the tune or if they have the tune in the truck because I know with my MPT tune I had to give my Vin number to program the tuner to that specific truck

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IDS needs to see a valid calibration installed in order to perform the update. In the cases of these aftermarket tunes, it appears IDS is identifying them as invalid calibrations.
This explains a lot! I was having trouble getting mine done also it kept erroring out and no connection could be made. Ah ha!

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A stock factory tune can be loaded with IDS, tune or not, they just need to program it with the as built, and as a new module. You can select "new module" unable to read old module and it will go.

As far as the previous owner, shoot me the VIN, I'll see if there is a name associated with the truck prior to you in the warranty.

Steve19Raptor

Reaction score
A stock factory tune can be loaded with IDS, tune or not, they just need to program it with the as built, and as a new module. You can select "new module" unable to read old module and it will go.

As far as the previous owner, shoot me the VIN, I'll see if there is a name associated with the truck prior to you in the warranty.
VIN is 1FTFW1RG8KFD17992 I appreciate everyones replies and assistance

Steve19Raptor

Reaction score
No manufacturer is going to pay for a replacement PCM that can’t be updated due to it being modified with an aftermarket calibration. That’s simply not reasonable. This is between you and the dealer at this point, they should not have sold the truck knowing that the recalls could not be performed. There are laws against selling vehicles that have open recalls, but I believe it only applies to safety related ones.

EDIT: I searched and Ford that released a bulletin with instructions on how to restore the PCM to the correct calibration. General Service Bulletin (GSB) 21-7122. Reference Module Programming Routine #2. The instructions are similar to the “blank path” I mentioned previously. If that doesn’t do it, I would request that the dealer replace the PCM on their dime.
Another day of talking with Ford motor company as the dealership and I are not on speaking terms. They are unaware of the service bulletin that you mentioned and are suggesting I take it to Five Star tuning in South Carolina. I'm in Missouri and really don't feel like it's my issue to resolve. Any chance I can buy a PCM and do it myself. If this truck has to go back to the dealership I purchased it from...

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Another day of talking with Ford motor company as the dealership and I are not on speaking terms. They are unaware of the service bulletin that you mentioned and are suggesting I take it to Five Star tuning in South Carolina. I'm in Missouri and really don't feel like it's my issue to resolve. Any chance I can buy a PCM and do it myself. If this truck has to go back to the dealership I purchased it from...
Yes, you could purchase and install a new PCM, you would just need IDS to get it programmed. If you do that, be sure to NOT connect IDS before the new (blank) PCM is installed otherwise IDS may recognize the VIN and corrupt the new PCM.

I think your best bet is to find an aftermarket shop or individual that has IDS and attempt to overwrite the current calibration. Shouldn’t cost more than $100 in labor time.