Bought 18 Raptor w/ Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your dealer can look up the warranty history previously by the vin, the dealership could contact the owner that way, not sure what the privacy issues are with that though, but there is a paper trail, period.

Steve19Raptor

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat with my 19. Three different dealers won't proceed as they can't get around the tune that is on it. Ford suggested taking it to someone that does tune vehicles as they will be able to get around it and set the ecm back to a factory file. No luck there either. Now I have an open case with Ford and am getting no where with them.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat with my 19. Three different dealers won't proceed as they can't get around the tune that is on it. Ford suggested taking it to someone that does tune vehicles as they will be able to get around it and set the ecm back to a factory file. No luck there either. Now I have an open case with Ford and am getting no where with them.
What are you expecting Ford to assist with? If the dealer can’t program the PCM due to an aftermarket tune, there’s nothing Ford can do.

The only solution that may work is to try “blank path” programming the PCM. The dealer is not going to do that though, because it’s not an approved procedure and any liability (damaged module) is on them. However, if you can find someone with IDS, it may work. The procedure involves connecting IDS with the key off to simulate a blank (unprogrammed) PCM. IDS won’t be able to identify the vehicle, so you enter the information manually and then allow IDS to try and program the “blank” module after turning the key to run. This overwrites the existing files, which restores the module to the factory calibration.

Steve19Raptor

Reaction score
My beef is with the salesman, (the GM of the dealership) telling me all service was up to date and he wasn't aware of any mods to the truck. Finance guy tells me as I'm leaving that he'd been driving the truck and that it has a hot tune on it. I get home and get Ford Pass on my phone to see the two updates needed on the truck. Take it to my closest dealer--can't touch it. So I go back to the dealer I bought it from and they say oh ya we can fix it. Turns out they can't get around the tune the GM said it didn't have. But, in talking with the service manager he tells me when they traded for the truck they tried to update the cam phaser issue but couldn't get around the tune so they themselves had opened a case with Ford to see a way around it. No solution so they sold the truck--to my *******. I would hope Ford might stand behind it and put a new ECM in the truck so that I have a truck that can be updated

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My beef is with the salesman, (the GM of the dealership) telling me all service was up to date and he wasn't aware of any mods to the truck. Finance guy tells me as I'm leaving that he'd been driving the truck and that it has a hot tune on it. I get home and get Ford Pass on my phone to see the two updates needed on the truck. Take it to my closest dealer--can't touch it. So I go back to the dealer I bought it from and they say oh ya we can fix it. Turns out they can't get around the tune the GM said it didn't have. But, in talking with the service manager he tells me when they traded for the truck they tried to update the cam phaser issue but couldn't get around the tune so they themselves had opened a case with Ford to see a way around it. No solution so they sold the truck--to my *******. I would hope Ford might stand behind it and put a new ECM in the truck so that I have a truck that can be updated

Okay so the cold air intake and the exhaust setup was not a clue that hey something on this truck isn't right? I am not sure if you might don't have a way to return the truck. Not sure how many miles are on it but when I see an aftermarket intake and cat back systems or mods in general. I usually run the other way.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not a lawyer, but there's got to be some recourse here for a dealer selling you a vehicle with a condition that they knew about, and didn't disclose, and that issue now prevents you from having recall work done--at the very same dealer!

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading through...A couple observations...

1.) Nothing can/should be directed toward FOMOCO as they had nothing to do with this deal, and you would likely have no direct cause of action against them in tort law.
2.) If I were to pursue anything, it would be against the dealer who withheld, or misled you as to what you were buying.
3.) Finding owner or checking a record with some tuning companies to find the prior platform to flash back is your best bet.
4.) COBB (or any other) tuner device is not going to be able to flash over any unknown tune, similar to how Ford cannot/will not do it. Risk of bricking the ECU.

Good luck with your issue. It is a tough one.

DC