Bought 18 Raptor w/ Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptorhawg17

Reaction score
What up everyone.

Bought a 2018 Raptor that has a tune and I am unable to track down the previous owner to get what system they had. Anyone in the Austin, TX area have a lead on how I can get the ECU reset to stock before taking in the truck to have the cam phasers done.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In texas more than likely it would be COBB. Not sure how many other tuning companies out there deal with the 3.5 liter though. Did it come with a commander?

OP
OP
R

raptorhawg17

Reaction score
Can’t you have the dealer reset the truck back to stock for you? Someone else may be be able to verify.
I took the truck in and they were unable to access the ECU to run the update and due to that they said they didn’t want to continue until they were able to run that. Truck did not come with a controller and then the dealer I bought it from is unable to contact the previous owner

OP
OP
R

raptorhawg17

Reaction score
In texas more than likely it would be COBB. Not sure how many other tuning companies out there deal with the 3.5 liter though. Did it come with a commander?
I have a COBB from goosetuned and it isn’t able to connect with ECU due to whatever controller was used previously.

OP
OP
R

raptorhawg17

Reaction score
Can’t you have the dealer reset the truck back to stock for you? Someone else may be be able to verify.
Took it to the dealer and they were unable to clear the tune from the previous controller. They said they wouldn’t move forward on the cam phase Fix until they were able to program with the updated factory tune for the ECU. Something like that

Wilbur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the truck in and they were unable to access the ECU to run the update and due to that they said they didn’t want to continue until they were able to run that. Truck did not come with a controller and then the dealer I bought it from is unable to contact the previous owner
Either the dealer you bought it from is being lazy and doesn't want to help you out, or they bought the truck from auction, so they don't even have the previous owners info. Look on the carfax, where was it registered before you got it? You may be able to track it down that way.

OP
OP
R

raptorhawg17

Reaction score
Either the dealer you bought it from is being lazy and doesn't want to help you out, or they bought the truck from auction, so they don't even have the previous owners info. Look on the carfax, where was it registered before you got it? You may be able to track it down that way.
I'm going for lazy. I'll try a few more dealers to see if they do it for me. The Carfax didn't lead me anywhere.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going for lazy. I'll try a few more dealers to see if they do it for me. The Carfax didn't lead me anywhere.

Yes, I doubt you will ever be able to get a hold of the guy who traded it off. In my case dude left some cabinet tools in the back end and it still didn't work as they would not return any messages from me and my wife. Usually people that trade these off are doing it for financial reasons and it could be a little touchy to them. I never got the second key ever and so I bought a blank on ebay and then had the dealership re-code only two admin keys. So, previous owners key wont work anyway.

I thought COBB could rewrite tunes? I would start with the major companies first. There should be someway to read the maker on the software as you get into it. I would make myself familiar with forscan and go at it that way.