Black Tux Paint Observaton!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No,it's more the fact the paint systems are set up for regular f150 size trucks and as we know the raptor is a little larger putting the sprayers at a orange peel distance.
Now this can be corrected but at a price of time and we have a hard time waiting now!

Regular F150's have the issue as well.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw a 2013, I notices the OP...I was not even looking for it, but when the sun hides the truck just right it really jumped out...the bad part was this was right I the middle of the driver side door...

I am going on a limb...but I assume this is not something we can make a warranty claim for?

Btw- I notice it less on the lighter colors...I have noticed only on a few places on my silver and that is if the light is just right...but once you know it is there..shit...

blood

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree but not to the extreme of the raptor.
The process could and should be fixed.The distance as well as a dry time issue.

Last edited:

gcmj45acp

Full Access Member
Reaction score

For what it's worth, f-150s are a dime a dozen down here in Texas. There are probably three dozen or more Raptors in the Cinco Ranch area of West Houston/Katy alone. With that said, I happen to have several neighbors with 03-07 vintage F-150s as at least as many with newer 08-present vintage samples including my own Raptor.

I'm telling you that to tell you this, the orange peel was present on the 03-07 trucks and it's on every 08-present f-150 I've seen. As a matter of fact, I even noticed it on my 07 Mustang GT/CS and my wife's 08 Toyota 4 Runner. My 02 Dodge however, no sign of orange peel texture whatsoever. Not sure why but, that's my observation. What's the point?

Idunno. I guess it's just that overall, I've been happy with the truck. And it may be that I'm not willing to complain because mine is in a body shop and I'm missing it. I even missed a match today because I didn't have the truck. Hoping to get it back tomorrow, then I guess I'll be bitching along with everyone else.

blood

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree dodges paint system is the best.

LD50

Reaction score
I had a similar observation as OP. I noticed it months ago when we bought my wife's Edge. My Raptor and her Edge are both 2012's but you can definitely tell that the edge has a higher quality paint job. It does bother me a bit but not that much.

Hers is the dark blue pearl metallic and if I could have it the way I wanted it I'd have that color in addition to the better quality.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The orange peel does not bother me that much its all the other things that are wrong with this paint job that are an issue, especially the paint misses along the edge of the hood and in the corners of the box. Hell I even have areas with no primer!

Attachments

• SAM_5733.jpg
    SAM_5733.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 60

DubbsFaris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has to do with the plant these trucks are built in. The equipment is older, and I have heard it is due to be overhauled soon.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has to do with the plant these trucks are built in. The equipment is older, and I have heard it is due to be overhauled soon.

Sooner the better... I have the same missed places...specifically the fender wells, but good thing for line x...

OP
OP
Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For what it's worth, f-150s are a dime a dozen down here in Texas. There are probably three dozen or more Raptors in the Cinco Ranch area of West Houston/Katy alone. With that said, I happen to have several neighbors with 03-07 vintage F-150s as at least as many with newer 08-present vintage samples including my own Raptor.

I'm telling you that to tell you this, the orange peel was present on the 03-07 trucks and it's on every 08-present f-150 I've seen. As a matter of fact, I even noticed it on my 07 Mustang GT/CS and my wife's 08 Toyota 4 Runner. My 02 Dodge however, no sign of orange peel texture whatsoever. Not sure why but, that's my observation. What's the point?

Idunno. I guess it's just that overall, I've been happy with the truck. And it may be that I'm not willing to complain because mine is in a body shop and I'm missing it. I even missed a match today because I didn't have the truck. Hoping to get it back tomorrow, then I guess I'll be bitching along with everyone else.

Yes my 2012 "LEAD SLED" Shelby is black and has enough OP to make a gallon of juice! :emotions122: