Black Tux Paint Observaton!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I as some of you know am pretty detailed when it come to taking care of my vehicles. Friday my little girl and her husband traded in the IS250 AWD I got her when she started college and bought a Escape AWD Platinum in black tux.

I gave it the treatment yesterday and noticed that-----THERE WAS NO ORANGE PEEL AND THE PAINT WAS PERFECT!!!!!

That being the case why do the trucks have such crappy paint???? HELLO FORD are you hearing this!!:sunot:

AndiNewEscape_zpsc688e003.jpg
photo2_zps297584a0.jpg

Last edited:

Grunzen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed on my black Raptor that I had less O.P. on the fenders than on the doors tailgate so I can assume that it had to do with the large flat areas on our truck. It could also be paint equipment. The next time I can I'll check to see if there is a difference between the Claycomo F 150's finish and Dearborns.

My wifes MKX finish was also quite a bit nicer than the Raptors.

gcmj45acp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford actually asked about this orange peel pain effect at an F-150 owners' clinic they held down here in Houston last year. It seems they know a lot of people don't care for it or else, they wouldn't ask. That said, the Escape is built/painted in a totally different facility.

I too noticed that some parts of the Raptor have little or no orange peel. The Ford engineers said some parts arrive pre-painted at the Dearborn facility. If I remember correctly, the little trim piece under the grille, mirror caps, front fenders, and hood, all arrive pre-painted for assembly.

OP
OP
Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just went out and looked at them---not even close. The little Escape blows mine away. Ford has a problem with the process-----now that I have seen this again in the sun it is painfully evident.

Well after all it is a Ford not a Benz..

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My black raptor paint job has not only orange peel but dirt, bubbles, runs, paint misses, fisheyes, pinholes, thin areas, you name it and it probably has it. Ford should be ashamed of the paint jobs they put on these expensive trucks.

OP
OP
Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score