BFG tire info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This question has been discussed a ton on other sites etc:

One example:

The wheels are 17-inches in diameter, and SVT didn't want to go any bigger because they wanted the tallest possible sidewalls for the 35-inch BF Goodrich All Terrain tires. Those BFGs, while made in the same molds -- and carrying the same tread pattern -- as traditional BFGs, have a unique compound. SVT found that the standard compound didn't work well in mud and snow, which would be a huge obstacle to Midwestern buyers (and the Michigan-based SVT workers themselves), so they worked with BFG and changed the thickness, belt angle, and compound to create a tire that could handle actual seasons and not make a lot of noise while doing it. With all that, the tires are just $200 each to replace.

Source: First Drive: 2010 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor is a diamond on the rough

I also read somewhere that the R and S rated tires are different enough that it is recommended that you not mix them to prevent premature wear due to the differences listed above.

Last edited:

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snow/Ice traction and reduced noise was the biggest things I remember Ford claiming the reason for softer compound. I think its a mistake, the regular compound would've done just fine. A few new vehicles are still sold with the regular compound, I don't see/hear any problems from them.

Raptor2010

Reaction score
I have 30,456 miles on the stock tires and rotate them every 3000 miles with oil change and I am almost afraid to go out when it rains. Feels like the truck is on ice going around turns. And that's not driving fast. I finally talked the wife into getting new tires after I took her for a ride in the rain and did a NASCAR drive around a turn and was sideways just about and scared the hell out of her. After being smacked and ******* at for doing that she said to get new tires. Worked out perfect, if you can take the abuse for about 10 minutes from the wife.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
I have 30,456 miles on the stock tires and rotate them every 3000 miles with oil change and I am almost afraid to go out when it rains. Feels like the truck is on ice going around turns. And that's not driving fast. I finally talked the wife into getting new tires after I took her for a ride in the rain and did a NASCAR drive around a turn and was sideways just about and scared the hell out of her. After being smacked and ******* at for doing that she said to get new tires. Worked out perfect, if you can take the abuse for about 10 minutes from the wife.

This sounds like a plan.Hmmmmmm
I know the feeling, I have 28,000 on mine and it does the same thing. On the freeway it scares the shit outta me sometimes.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
i don't have a wife, but a gf who would love to sit and hear about my new tires. guess i'm lucky, for now.

tahoeacr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the diameter doesn't change, the section width will be wider on wider rims. it says they're a bit taller and lighter, but skinnier.

Diameter does change with rim width. We are only talking 1/10 of an inch not a couple inches. The "R" is on a one inch narrower rim which doesn't spread the tire as much accounting for the .1 taller and .7 narrower section width. BFG is not going to make a seperate tire mold for what 40,000 Raptor run. The tire would be four times as much at least. Same mold different compound to make Ford happy.

tahoeacr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My wife is use to the sideways stuff. It's when she goes sideways that something needs to get done

Attachments

• sliding1a.jpg
    sliding1a.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 70

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This question has been discussed a ton on other sites etc:

One example:

Source: First Drive: 2010 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor is a diamond on the rough

I also read somewhere that the R and S rated tires are different enough that it is recommended that you not mix them to prevent premature wear due to the differences listed above.

i dont get the mud and snow part... im running the regular BFG AT's on my 99 f-250, and i was running thru the snow fine during the blizzard last year, i had a night comming home from work when they only had 1 lane of a 2 lane street plowed and traffic backed up, i popped it in 4hi, and hit 6 inches of snow and slush and felt like i was on dry pavement, was great driving past all them small cars and flinging crap on them. plus out at my fathers farm, they saw lots of mud... like bad mud where early spring, the top 2-4 inches of mud were wet, and under that was still frozen and i made it thru fine....ish.... lotta sliding and flinging mud everywhere.... but i didint get stuck... so.... how were the normal BFG's bad for snow and mud?!

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Diameter does change with rim width. We are only talking 1/10 of an inch not a couple inches. The "R" is on a one inch narrower rim which doesn't spread the tire as much accounting for the .1 taller and .7 narrower section width. BFG is not going to make a seperate tire mold for what 40,000 Raptor run. The tire would be four times as much at least. Same mold different compound to make Ford happy.

thought you were saying it's a significant change. 1/10" isn't even worth mentioning. changes in temp and psi can account for 1/10" of an inch. i didn't notice the measured rim width difference the first time i looked. my main point is they are 2lbs lighter. the S compound must be softer and more dense.