BFG tire info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mblgjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tons of good feedback on the Goodyear Duratracs.

I'd run the Nitto TerraGrapplers/Toyos if they had the correct size. They have a 325, but I figured it would be a little fat on the stock 8.5" wide wheels.

Ryguy84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy just got the nitto trail grapplers its awesome looking tire.
And check discounttires.com great pricing and cheap shipping. Just ordered some tires for my moms corvette 400 bucks cheaper than anything around here or the rack.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone used these before..

Hankook Dynapro MT RT03

This site sure is useful for info on tires...
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/****-Cepek-F-C-II.htm

Last edited:

gcmj45acp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tons of good feedback on the Goodyear Duratracs.

I'd run the Nitto TerraGrapplers/Toyos if they had the correct size. They have a 325, but I figured it would be a little fat on the stock 8.5" wide wheels.

Ran TerraGrapplers on my old Dodge for a year and hated them. Even on dry pavement, it felt like I had wet slicks with no sidewall if I took a corner at anything other than parking lot speeds. Quiet and seemingly grippy in a straight line but, lacking in sure footing for turns and absolute crap for rain or any flavor of Texas mud.

mblgjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran TerraGrapplers on my old Dodge for a year and hated them. Even on dry pavement, it felt like I had wet slicks with no sidewall if I took a corner at anything other than parking lot speeds. Quiet and seemingly grippy in a straight line but, lacking in sure footing for turns and absolute crap for rain or any flavor of Texas mud.

I've got them on a 350 crew and my old '05 150. Good all around tire for predominant street use and *light* mud (no gumbo). They're def better than the BFG AT's on the Raptor.

As far as not handling great... they're better than the Continentals I took off the 350 and the hard as a rock BFG LongTrails that were on the 150. If you had an older Dodge, I'd have to claim it's a typical Dodge in the handling dept. :crazy:

Having pushed them really hard in the rain on the 150; they're a solid tire. The LongTrails would completely let go on me and never recover traction until I almost stopped. The Nitto's take forever to let go and when they do, they're pretty predictable for a truck tire.

I guess we all have different expectations :waytogo:

gcmj45acp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got them on a 350 crew and my old '05 150. Good all around tire for predominant street use and *light* mud (no gumbo). They're def better than the BFG AT's on the Raptor.

As far as not handling great... they're better than the Continentals I took off the 350 and the hard as a rock BFG LongTrails that were on the 150. If you had an older Dodge, I'd have to claim it's a typical Dodge in the handling dept. :crazy:

Having pushed them really hard in the rain on the 150; they're a solid tire. The LongTrails would completely let go on me and never recover traction until I almost stopped. The Nitto's take forever to let go and when they do, they're pretty predictable for a truck tire.

I guess we all have different expectations :waytogo:

My "old" Dodge was an '03 3/4-ton QuadCab 4x4 Hemi. As solid axle trucks of the day went. it handled better than any other truck I'd ever driven. At the time, I think Ford's Super Duties were still running leaf springs up front but, I know eventually Ford did move to a 4-link setup similar to Dodge because newer Super Duties drive far better than those I test drove in late 2002. It came on the hard Rugged Trail's you mentioned and the BFG All Terrain's were the first tire I tried after the stockers were worn out.

It may be that I had a bad set of Nittos on the Dodge but, the BFG All Terrains were decidedly better. The Dodge was no Carrera S or Corvette but, the truck felt planted and tracked exactly as planned in all conditions on BFG All Terrains and ProComp All Terrrains. Pro Comps were a bit loud and managed to make bad gas mileage even worse so I went back to BFG All Terrains after going through two sets. Neither tire was great for gumbo but, my experience is that few tires short of SuperSwampers are and I just don't spend THAT much time in that kind of mud.

On the Nittos, as mentioned earlier, the truck was fine in a straight line on dry pavement. The big deal on the 285/70r17s I had on my Dodge was that the truck's weight shifted horribly from one side to the other on twisty roads. It was like the sidewalls were made of bungy cord or something. Wet weather just made everything worse because that weight shift translated to nervous trips to and from the office. After I burned through a set in 25,000 miles or so back in 2008 and 2009, I was all too happy to go back to the BFG All Terrains until I sold the truck a couple months ago.

I've been quite happy with the handling of the BFGs on the Raptor. Treadlife could be better but, overall the tires have been OK. If it weren't for the fact I've almost burned through them in only nine months/27,000miles, I'd consider another set. I'd like to get at least 40,000 miles out of my next set of tires if possible so I might try the standard BFG compound with the lower speed rating if I don't find something else. I haven't seen TerraGrapplers in 315/70r17 so I don't think I'll be trying the Nittos on the Raptor this time around.

mblgjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ Everyone seems to get about 30k out of the stock BFG's so far.

And you're right, Nitto/Toyo doesn't offer a 315/70/17, they have a 325 series with a 35" o.d. which I think would be a touch too fat for the 8.5" wheel.

I think the BFG's are a nice on-road tire and all, they just have zero mud capability. Dry/desert 'dirt' and pavement..sure. But I have wet field grass and mud, so they're pretty useless on my end.

As far as the Nitto's being lazy in transitions and wobbly side to side; did you have them on the stock 17x8 wheels? If so, running the slightly fatter/ 1/2" taller 285 is going to be slightly too wide a section width (fat) for an 8" wheel and give you that feeling. I've driven several GM trucks where guys run 285's because they want "tall fat tires" and they all drive like what you describe, no matter what brand tire was on them. You have to go into the turn and lead the steering wheel into the curve waaaaaay ahead of time and hope you don't have to change directions.

Slip-angle :)

And no offense about the 'old dodge'. I've got a '97 Cummins equipped and spent quite a bit of time getting it to drive right.

Also, the early Ford 4x4's drove like crap too. The '05 is a joy to drive compared to the older front end design.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc