Best / Recommended Octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the local refinery all fuel no matter what station it goes to comes out of the same hose... All 87 octane comes from the 87 outlet at the refinery, and its a Chevron owned refinery. The driver (which I watched he is a friend and works for a fuel transport company) filled the tanks on his truck from one nozzle. Then he drives over to the additive tank and adds whatever station he goes to additives. And some stations get no additives he just delivers the fuel requested... So no matter what anyone thinks El cheapo gas and Chevron or Shell comes out of the same tank its just a matter of what gets added... And as far as additive goes to be honest its not much, about 5 gallons of 1000 gallons is additive... Then off to be delivered to the tanks in the ground of the gas station of your choice... But of course that's California and your experience at other refineries' are probably the same...

Correct. Here in Phoenix all the gas comes from a single pipeline up from Tuscon. Each brand buys the same base fuel and then they add their own additives. The fuel with the additive package is what the Top Tier is testing.

MontanaSkiRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run premium because that's what Ford and Roush say to use when it comes directly from them, they even put special stickers on the fuel lid and the dash gauges. I have run regular a few times when the price was a huge difference and it does seem to not run as nicely, not super noticeable but seems just a bit off. Average about 13-13.5 mpg.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I run 89 and am happy with it, I think 91 is probably the highest I would go, I think I remember reading something about the truck not liking 93.

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of what your paying for in gasoline are the additives.
I would be less concerned with octane between 89+ to 93
And more concerned with the additives.
87 has less additives in it than the others.
And the 'No-name' brands that sell cheaper do not have the same additives
as the major brands. That is why there cheap-er.
Also, your owners manual will give you the HP difference.