Best / Recommended Octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MotoDuc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shell, Costco, and whatever they bring on base. No sense in worrying about price I'm not going to stop driving anytime soon.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've read a lot and this premium standard seems to have value.
Top Tier Gasoline

Here is a list of the current retailers. When I was turned onto this maybe 8 years ago there were only a couple of retailers near me. Now there are many. Since Costco near me is certified I have been buying from them.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:
USA
Aloha Petroleum
BP
Chevron
Conoco
Costco
CountryMark
Entec Stations
Exxon
Hawaii Fueling Network (HFN)
Holiday Stationstores
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
MFA Oil Co.
Mobil
Ohana Fuels
Phillips 66
Quik Trip
Road Ranger
Scheirl Oil
Shell
SuperAmerica
Texaco
Tri-Par Oil Co.
U.S. Oil

At the local refinery all fuel no matter what station it goes to comes out of the same hose... All 87 octane comes from the 87 outlet at the refinery, and its a Chevron owned refinery. The driver (which I watched he is a friend and works for a fuel transport company) filled the tanks on his truck from one nozzle. Then he drives over to the additive tank and adds whatever station he goes to additives. And some stations get no additives he just delivers the fuel requested... So no matter what anyone thinks El cheapo gas and Chevron or Shell comes out of the same tank its just a matter of what gets added... And as far as additive goes to be honest its not much, about 5 gallons of 1000 gallons is additive... Then off to be delivered to the tanks in the ground of the gas station of your choice... But of course that's California and your experience at other refineries' are probably the same...

jdruzik

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn finally someone older than me....

Didn't you know that 65 is the "New" 45...

In '69 I was 21 and I purchased the 1969 Mustang Mach I with a 428 Super Cobra Jet engine and I always used Chevron Custom Supreme. That was one hell of a car...

9168-1969-mustang-mach.jpg

I wish I still had it...

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At $5.85 per gallon I can't justify running anything over 87. I stick to Irving because the Irving refinery across the harbour sells the gas to all the other companies like esso(Exxon), shell, petro can, ultramar etc. when you pass the Irving refinery, across the street are the storage tanks with all the other company trucks filling up..

One thing I won't do is buy gas if I see the delivery truck is there or has just left because they stir up the crap from the bottom of the tank.

LFtrip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only 91 from Shell or Chevron for me. This is really only because I'm used to only using 91 octane due to my two previous cars (Subaru STI & BMW 135i). Both required high octane. I figure just stick with it. I had no problems with those cars.

602Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much wherever I can get a deal. Safeway gas points work at Chevron and when I have no points, I go to Costco. I have been running 91 since new and have averaged 13.1 mpg over 5500 miles. I'm happy with the mileage...it's better than my Jeep was.