Best Raptor R (5.2 V8) Oil and Oil Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigTaco

Reaction score
This stuff says
“This engine oil will NOT MEET any current API or OEM Engine Oil Specifications.”
Thing with most racing oils, they provide great protection but for short periods. They breakdown, at least that’s what a refinery product engineer told me. Most racing engines get the oil changed often as the engine is inspected or rebuilt. So they focus on extreme protection not longevity.
This is 100% a street oil. This is not a racing oil. API or SN is a standard. The Ford spec WHC for 5W-50 was for low zinc content.

You are correct “kinda” about racing oils though. You should never run them as a street oil. The additive packages are not designed to last for multiple heat cycles or long drain intervals.

SN standard for steer cars in America have low ZDDP (zinc) content to help protect catalytic converters (back in the late 90’s is when this happened). The problem is that oil makers would use different types of zinc and if it was blended with crappy ZDDP, it would end up in the converters and damage them. It’s not the quantity, it’s the quality of the zinc that will damage converters. SN/API standards have low ZDDP to ensure converters will not be damaged no matter what type is used.

In Europe, ZDDP is still higher than in the US.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is 100% a street oil. This is not a racing oil. API or SN is a standard. The Ford spec WHC for 5W-50 was for low zinc content.

You are correct “kinda” about racing oils though. You should never run them as a street oil. The additive packages are not designed to last for multiple heat cycles or long drain intervals.

SN standard for steer cars in America have low ZDDP (zinc) content to help protect catalytic converters (back in the late 90’s is when this happened). The problem is that oil makers would use different types of zinc and if it was blended with crappy ZDDP, it would end up in the converters and damage them. It’s not the quantity, it’s the quality of the zinc that will damage converters. SN/API standards have low ZDDP to ensure converters will not be damaged no matter what type is used.

In Europe, ZDDP is still higher than in the US.
The racing oil comment was for the Driven racing oil someone posted. https://drivenracingoil.com/i-30497786-fr50-5w-50-synthetic-street-performance-oil.html

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m not trying to be a Richard, but the words “street-performance” are in the link. I thing the name of the company “Driven Racing Oil” may have confused you. Take Care.
Richard, I just read what they print.
DRIVEN FR50 Racing Oil is formulated for High Performance Engines/Racing applications only. This engine oil will NOT MEET any current API or OEM Engine Oil Specifications.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think this goes for any damn car ever....

I love motul for brakes but as far as oil. I have only seen one super comprehensive oil write up and it was done by a guy back on a BMW forum for an e46 m3. The review was about 4 or 5 pages long. Mileage review, testing the oil, sending it out to an oil tester, etc etc. I would say that the engine will outlast the time that you have it. Aka, you'll sell the truck before it sells you.

BigTaco

Reaction score
Richard, I just read what they print.
DRIVEN FR50 Racing Oil is formulated for High Performance Engines/Racing applications only. This engine oil will NOT MEET any current API or OEM Engine Oil Specifications.
Stop calling me Richard! Lol
This oil does not meet those specs. It was Blended to work great in Coyote engines. This oil even has a mill spec additive to keep engine internals pristine during storage. Call them and ask them about running this in a street driven vehicle.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Stop calling me Richard! Lol
This oil does not meet those specs. It was Blended to work great in Coyote engines. This oil even has a mill spec additive to keep engine internals pristine during storage. Call them and ask them about running this in a street driven vehicle.
I would not use it, but to each their own. Clean olive would probably work. Lol

OP
OP
J

jrwp2022

Reaction score
What are some of the actual part numbers for the available Raptor R oil filters?
For some reason I’m having trouble seeing part descriptions actually indicating they are for the Raptor R engine.