GEN 2 Best Octane vs. Cheapest to Run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you notice a difference between running the E 85 and 87 octane?
Just to make it completely clear. Don't try to run E85. People who replace the fuel pumps and the turbos and run a tune get some amazing numbers out of E85. Some people who do that mix E85 and premium to approximate E50. Don't do that either. Some claim that the HO engine runs better on an ethanol mix, so it's not worth tracking down pure gas and paying out the nose for it. I don't know about that, I just run tier one premium with the ethanol in it and don't look back. If I get in a jam and only regular is available, like in Gerlach, I put it in and don't worry about it. It's a truck designed for a range of gas and a range of operating conditions. If Ford did it right, you're not going to be able to find a weird corner case where regular gas causes a problem, so if money is an issue, you can burn regular and not worry..

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Just to make it completely clear. Don't try to run E85. People who replace the fuel pumps and the turbos and run a tune get some amazing numbers out of E85. Some people who do that mix E85 and premium to approximate E50. Don't do that either. Some claim that the HO engine runs better on an ethanol mix, so it's not worth tracking down pure gas and paying out the nose for it. I don't know about that, I just run tier one premium with the ethanol in it and don't look back. If I get in a jam and only regular is available, like in Gerlach, I put it in and don't worry about it. It's a truck designed for a range of gas and a range of operating conditions. If Ford did it right, you're not going to be able to find a weird corner case where regular gas causes a problem, so if money is an issue, you can burn regular and not worry..

I only had a chance to run 1 tank of ‘pure’ 89 gas back to back with 93 / 10% eth. The 93 was noticeably better performing and ended up being getting more out of the tank - both tanks on “island time” in OBX, with very, very similar driving patterns. Not scientific and it would be great to get an apples to apples test but the pure gas was $$$$.

agree with you as well. I have burned 87 for several tanks and not had a single issue. 93 works better.