GEN 2 Best Octane vs. Cheapest to Run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JR1

Reaction score
I recently got my Gen2. Wondering what to run in it to avoid noticeable bad performance…like when I ran 87octane the Transmission seems to shudder. Mobil brand gas seems to do this a little less than Speedway and the generic gas brands… Any suggestions on what Brands and what Octane to run in it since this is my daily driver?

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$3.20 a gallon . I wish, tip tier gas is $4.15-$4.40 a gallon in my area. In my ecoboost motors I run 89+. I have found 89 vs 91/93 is not mind blowing. I am not sure if I did a blind test I could definitively say what octane it was

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Don’t be the guy/gal who buys the Raptor, and spends 10 years complaining about fuel economy:
One and ONLY gas mileage thread please

Or the one who spends 70 bills on a Raptor and wants to penny pinch on fuel. Give the super unleaded that the Ford Engineers had in mind when they were trying to squeeze those last few ponies out. Yes, it will run on 87, just fine without error and with absolute reliability. It won’t be as fast and as others have pointed out you may actually lose some economy as well. FTO explained previously that the truck is spending so much effort retarding the timing that it doesn’t achieve as thrifty of a tank as with super. Kind of the opposite of old school vehicles but yeah.