GEN 2 Best Octane vs. Cheapest to Run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Macdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad no Costco for you. I’m in MN and all the gas stations have 91 but Costco has 92 octane for 2.95 to 3.15 per gallon depending over the last year. That’s all I get runs great. Ran up to Duluth from the Twin Cities got 18.1 miles to the gallon in cruise control.

BossRaptor

Reaction score
All the gas in the Phx area is the same. Comes into Phx area via a pipe line that runs parallel with the I10 that goes to Tucson. Each company (brand) adds there own additive to it. Ask a trucker who drops the fuel off to these stations and they will tell you the same thing. Some stations are more high volume than others. IE Quick Trip and few others in the Phx area. Tuners will tell you to buy from the ones that has the most fresh fuel. Still we are stuck with 91 octane fuel on the left coast. Tuners will tell ya its probably not even 91 ,closer to 89 or 90 octane. Sucks but is what it is. Maybe one day we can get 93 octane.

BIGDJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The turbos love ethanol. If you have E85 around you then do 91 and 5 gallons of E85 will run much better. If you have a tune then get your tuner to do E50 blend more HP and runs better. You will need HPFP to run straight E85 but its much cheaper. I am in socal and 91 is $5 gallon and E85 is $2.90. So more power and cheaper cost on E85 but will drop little in MPG

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The turbos love ethanol. If you have E85 around you then do 91 and 5 gallons of E85 will run much better. If you have a tune then get your tuner to do E50 blend more HP and runs better. You will need HPFP to run straight E85 but its much cheaper. I am in socal and 91 is $5 gallon and E85 is $2.90. So more power and cheaper cost on E85 but will drop little in MPG
Where you at in Socal? I'm in Redondo part time. Would love to check out your rig someday if you are close.