GEN 2 Best Octane vs. Cheapest to Run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ba123

Reaction score
"New" Gen 2 owner here...when I got the truck the dealer filled it with gas for me. I'm sure they only put 87 in it and I thought the response was "meh" and was like, that's it? It was nice and an above average truck but didn't feel like it should have. I ran that tank until almost empty and filled with 91 (highest in CA) and it's an incredible difference in my opinion. I did put some fuel system cleaner in there as well (Jectron), but I don't think that adds any octane.

BIGDJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"New" Gen 2 owner here...when I got the truck the dealer filled it with gas for me. I'm sure they only put 87 in it and I thought the response was "meh" and was like, that's it? It was nice and an above average truck but didn't feel like it should have. I ran that tank until almost empty and filled with 91 (highest in CA) and it's an incredible difference in my opinion. I did put some fuel system cleaner in there as well (Jectron), but I don't think that adds any octane.
next fill up to 5 gallons of E85 rest of 91

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use Shell Vpower 93 in mine exclusively. Not because I have to, because I want to and I can afford it. Except in those rare instance when I am traveling and there are no Shell stations. Then I just use whichever station has 93 available.