Bedspread - Cause, Correction and Prevention

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
be nice if something can be made that still allows the bed extender to work, but it'd probably have to go across the top.

I like the angled pieces at the lower part. Could probably use the center bolt hole from a bed extender for that method, and just have to drill a couple holes in the bed floor.

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez already

I"ve been watching this thread with interest.
I cannot see the correlation between having a stage 3 and the bed spread issue. There is only one explanation that I can think of and that is that the trucks that this has happened to have made some ridiculous jumps to cause this. I see the pictures.
These trucks are baja proven yes, but they are not trophy trucks guys. These trucks can handle some jumping but it seems like the purpose for some of you is to see how high and hard you can get it. If you want to get that big air then build a 4 link rear and put some real shocks on it with 36 inch travel. And those trucks do not have truck beds. They have a fiberglass shell.

Let's get real here. These trucks were not built to be jumping in the air ALL the time. No truck built like these are indistructable and you will see this type of damage when we do what we do with them with out building for it.

The triangular brace from bed side to bed is your best solution. There are tons of ways to build them. The simple ones on that white truck above looks decent but they are not going to be that strong with just a couple of bolts holding them on. The whole rear bed section needs to be framed and triangulated with decent thinkness's of flatstock. It needs to be done before you decide to jump to the moon with your truck. To fix it permanent you need to bring the bed back in spec and frame the bed as mentioned above with at least 2" x1/4" flatstock both inside the bed and under the bed in order for it to say put.

The first place I have always spent money on all my off road vehicles trucks, buggys, motorcycles is the suspension. You can only go so fast with stock suspension and no matter how many pony's you got under that hood, your suspension is your limiting factor.

Just sayin.

Mil T

OP
OP
RaptorSteve

RaptorSteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you read all the threads related to this issue I think you'll find that most guys have this issue without having done any jumping, me included. I hit one medium sized rut my first time out and had a nice donkey kick, that was enough to cause the spread.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my suspension is stock I have jumped it a bit but have never had a donkey kick every thing is good. pre run must be the key. like stated raptors are not trophy trucks built for racing. A Raptor is a bad ass pickup truck that you can take off road on ruff terrain.

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you read all the threads related to this issue I think you'll find that most guys have this issue without having done any jumping, me included. I hit one medium sized rut my first time out and had a nice donkey kick, that was enough to cause the spread.

I think you may have missed the big picture. One of the worst suspension hits on ANY off road vehicle is the kind of bump that causes the vehicle to kick the rear up. The forces on this type of bump when hit is against the physics as to how the suspension is supposed to work. Suspension works in the up and down motion. when you hit one of these bumps that causes the back side to kick up is a front to back motion. The suspension cannot absorb the shock forces of this type of bump and there fore the force needs to go somewhere and that is usually into the frame and body. I would venture to say that when you say a medium size rut that it was large enough to cause the damage you are talking about. I have done it on motorcycles, buggys and trucks. It's the scariest type of obstacle out there when you hit this type of bump. That is why being able to read terrain will save you more than just a suspension that is built well. Look at the pro's that race. Watch the DAKAR. They are always endoing on these types of bumps be it in sand, dirt or whatever.
I was just trying to make the point that these trucks are not bullet proof. I also wondering why this is just now coming up. These trucks have been out for over 3 years and this is the first thread on it? HUMM!
Mil T

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^ people are getting there Duke's of Hazard on. I remember in an article John stating people would jump there car's and wonder why they broke lolA controlled jump one you go over and over. A table top is the best but the more daring you get the more chance of that one whoops I hit that a bit hard. It's going to happen eventually if you keep jumping.