Bedspread - Cause, Correction and Prevention

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorSteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I wanted to start a thread on this issue so we can perhaps figure out a way to prevent and correct it. There were quite a few comments in the SEMA run thread about this.

My first question is, is this happening to people with and without frame reinforcement kits or what? Is it a side effect of a donkey kick? Does the Bakflip cover have anything to do with it? I think not on this latter one since I don't think J0sh had a Bakflip on his.

Also, I'd like to see something developed to prevent and correct it. Perhaps a flat or round bar that goes betwee the bed sides just inside the tailgate, ideally with a quick disconnect and a way to adjust the tension on it. The bed extender bolt holes seem like a good place to take a look at.

Post your pictures, comments and suggestions here.

Forgive me if there is already a thread for this but I searched and didn't turn one up.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hahahaaa, I thought you were going to have bitching about the new sheets and covers your wife put on the bed. Lol

Joe

TTOKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking a ratchet strap across the back would be a good/cheap precautionary measure before hittin' the trails.

TT

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking a ratchet strap across the back would be a good/cheap precautionary measure before hittin' the trails.

TT

Not so sure a strap would work or help, because the strap and the bed brackets will give and take. I would think a bed cage designed to also attach all 4 bed brackets and then the ability to bolt in some cross members when going out pounding the dirt. The idea looks good in my head.... Lol

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
I have done some insane flexing with my truck with my Bakflip F1 on and never had an issue EVER.
IMG_3000.jpg
My truck sits on this at carshows all day. It is the max height that the suspension can handle while keeping all 4 tires on the ground. Never had an issue. The tailgate even opens and closes normal.

JDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone consulted their dealer? Warranty? Regarding this issue. Sounds like another flaw to me. I'll be damned if I have to install a bed brace or something along the rear tail gate area and remove it every time something is loaded or unloaded from the truck bed, very inconvenient! Shouldn't the manufacture, Ford, be responsible for this? I don't know, just thinking out-loud :)

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have done some insane flexing with my truck with my Bakflip F1 on and never had an issue EVER.
IMG_3000.jpg
My truck sits on this at carshows all day. It is the max height that the suspension can handle while keeping all 4 tires on the ground. Never had an issue. The tailgate even opens and closes normal.

Your truck is a mutant Raptor.

-Greg