Bedspread - Cause, Correction and Prevention

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've started to notice this on mine. I talked myself out of having the problem pre-Baja, but post-Baja I definitely think I have this going on. Stock suspension with Stage 3 on my truck.

I put a ratchet strap between the two holes on the tailgate frame and cinched things back in place. I think I'll just ride like this until I need to remove the strap for bed space.

Interesting problem.

Turf Tamer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Progress, parts should be back from powder coating tomorrow in the AM in time for a afternoon install.

397394_556413354368684_732741115_n.jpg

Turf Tamer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, all finished and installed. I like them and it beats the heck out of the ratchet strap. Install is kind a pain cuz these things are really under some tension which is where my ratchet strap came in handy. Will update if any problems arise in the future, but for now hats off to Outlaw.

22ea397debf547508945e2565837d321.jpg

803928d527dcfc70ba519a1be8eb4be7.jpg

4c35b27852f10f6ee51abcd93341ab2d.jpg

dba4976187e8ed50d8e56265fd4c64fb.jpg

f65546e25789b75a2a5f4ef59410c8cc.jpg

prior to the brace

92c05ed98b80c4bd63d8c04ac5254c3d.jpg

OP
OP
RaptorSteve

RaptorSteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like it. My concern would be the bolts holding the brackets on up top. They look like the weak point.

Questions.

Did it correct the problem with the Bakflip not being securable?

Is there any room left to adjust it tighter if need be?

Thanks for the pics.

Turf Tamer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it. My concern would be the bolts holding the brackets on up top. They look like the weak point.

Questions.

Did it correct the problem with the Bakflip not being securable?

Is there any room left to adjust it tighter if need be?

Thanks for the pics.

Yes the problem is gone and I have some adjustment left if needed. The top mount has a big plate on the back side to distribute the load. If you want more available adjustment you could just mount the top plate
higher up. I wanted to retain the eye-bolts so my options were limited. Honestly I'm not sure how you would be able to pull in the sides without the use of a ratchet strap or something similar. We basically pulled the sides in with the strap past where we wanted it, tightened the heim's, let the strap lose which let the sides out slightly, but because we pulled in the sides past where we wanted them they fell into the desired place.

cage1993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little late to this thread, been very busy of late, but this is not a Raptor specific problem. I grew up on a ranch in west Texas, and every truck we had would eventually do this due to the continued jostling on rough roads, and not at any significant speed. The lower part of the bed is the weak point, the metal just isn't a heavy enough gauge to hold up the much heavier bedsides. The weight of the bedsides just torque it out over time. Of course the rougher the driving (as on bad ranch roads) the quicker this will happen. I'm sure the typical driving of a Raptor, the redistribution of various forces through suspension and bump stop upgrades, can exacerbate the issue. Next time you're driving behind an older truck, look at the bedsides, and unless it has been driven on baby butt smooth roads for its entire existence, it will have this issue. I like the fix detailed above, but I would use a standard boxed turnbuckle from say Home Depot. By having the center piece boxed, it would be easily adjustable with a crescent wrench, no tie strap needed for initial install or later tweaking.