Basic Needs for an Off-Road Expedition for a Daytrip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can go nuts with “emergency gear”.

What I’ve found useful is a way to easily change a tire. I’ve used this gear a number of times:
  • Highly recommended. Tire plug kit and an air compressor.

• Optional. I keep an 18 volt, 750 ft/lb Makita impact wrench with two batteries in the truck, with impact sockets, plus a 3 ton hydraulic jack.

So far I’ve never needed the kinetic rope. The tire stuff has been used the most.

Have fun!

OP
OP
ItsAMe

ItsAMe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NOCO (or similar) battery charger. If you're planning to travel solo, having the ability to jump-start your own truck is essential. Small, lightweight, doesn't take much room.

As far as a bottle jack, I highly recommend the Powerbuilt 3-ton bottle jack/locking jack stand: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ULZGFU/?tag=fordraptorforum-20. I've used them extensively and they work great. If the jack doesn't raise the vehicle high enough for you, you can always get a set of leveling pads for an RV and stack them underneath. Should give you plenty of height.

Kinetic rope is a must, as others have mentioned. Yankum and Bubba Rope are my recommendations there. I personally use this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K2AH3F2/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

And though it's not technically something you "bring", tell someone exactly where you'll be going and when they should expect to hear from you if you'll be out of cell range.

Oh...and fireworks. Roman candles are fun to shoot, and can double as a flare if needed. :)

Awesome and yes to telling someone. My brother hikes but doesn't tell us where he's going so we're constantly badgering him to remind us.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The best thing to take is someone who is seasoned. If you don't, one of two things is likely to happen. One, you'll vastly underestimate what the truck can do and will be such a ***** that you don't need any gear. Two, you'll vastly overestimate what the truck can do and you'll break it to the point that no amount of recovery gear will be enough.

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nobody really uses a CB much anymore, I'd like into a UHF/VHF race radio handheld like a Baofeng with the longer antenna and a list of common channels used.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074XPB313/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

The 8w model would be even better, but is twice the price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MAULSOK/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

I'd say flashlight too if you dont have one in the truck already.

Lumber is heavier, and doesnt provide nearly the traction a board does, so...not really the same.
I don’t think anyone buying a truck weighing well over 6,000 pounds with passengers would be concerned about an extra 20 pounds. To some it may be worth saving hundreds of dollars and there’s no reason a 4wd truck with a locker can’t get traction on a 2x6

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A couple emergency candles, you would be amazed how much heat a candle will give off inside the cab of a truck. Keep a couple granola bars, etc with you in case you can't fix the truck and are stranded. Best advice is not to go out in the desert by yourself, but I have gone out on my own and when I do, I let people know exactly the area I am going and I tell them if I'm not back by a certain time, to come looking for me or call 911.

Christyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone buying a truck weighing well over 6,000 pounds with passengers would be concerned about an extra 20 pounds. To some it may be worth saving hundreds of dollars and there’s no reason a 4wd truck with a locker can’t get traction on a 2x6

I'm not worried about in truck, more carrying around when trying to get unstuck, but sure, have some 2x6s bouncing around in your truck to save a few bucks. I'm pretty sure someone buying a $70k truck isn't as worried about an $80 set of boards if they were so inclined.

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually I wouldn’t really buy anything at first, go out to a few easy trails and just concentrate on enjoying driving the truck, you’ll figure out what is right for you, most of the things I thought I needed and bought in the beginning have been tossed out for better goodies or discarded altogether, an example I just bought over $500 worth of recovery gear that I would have thought was outrageous when I started.