Bad news... (the One and ONLY thread about the shortage of Tuxedo Black paint)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ernie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spoke with my dealer last Friday. My Supercab/Tuxedo Black is at priority 1 with only a partial VIN; however, he was under the impression (after speaking with Ford) that the pigment shortage would not affect the scheduling (order was placed with Ford on Jan. 28). Fingers crossed (mine).

BTW, anyone wondering what the "xirallic" is (someone correctly mentioned a shortage of xirallic) can read about it at:
After Japan Quake, Car Makers Face Paint Shortage - WSJ.com

ernie

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Latest article on upcoming Ford Vehicle Plant idling. Not all necessarily related to the paint pigment shortage:

Ford sales analyst George Pipas said:
In a regulatory filing today, Ford said it is assessing the impact of the earthquake and while the automakerhas no production facilities in Japan, it continues to work with suppliers of parts and materials located there to ensure shipments continue with minimaldisruption.

"We also are pursuing other sources of supply as necessary and practicable," Ford said, noting there still are restrictions on orderingvehicles in certain paint colors because of a pigment that is solely sourced from a plant near Japan's damaged nuclear reactor.

"Because the situation in Japan continues to develop, supply interruptions related to materials and components from Japan could manifest themselves in the weeks ahead."

The automaker said if shipment of akey componentis affected and an alternate supply cannot be found,forcing vehicle assembly to stop,it wouldadversely affect the automaker'sfinancial condition.

From The Detroit News: Ford to idle first plants over parts shortage due to Japan quake | detnews.com | The Detroit News

No mention, however, on idling the Dearborn Truck Plant thankfully.

Anyone else have any updated info?

Bluedog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Vash. I've not seen anything recently, but will post any new info I come across. I'm also interested in what people (with un-scheduled orders in place) are hearing from thier dealers.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can tell you that based my conversations with my dealer they either know almost nothing or are trying not to freak out customers by holding back. I asked about info from Ford and supposedly they didn't receive the emails that Randy posted. Kind of worries me, but it is what it is.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was talking to the manager at my dealer that does all the ordering about the pigment shortage yesterday. He really didn't have anymore information than what is already out there. He said all our tuxedo black, and all three red color orders were on hold. Ford did not give him estimated release/new build dates. He speculated more colors would probably get pulled. I can only imagine this is just the beginning. Toyota might really be f'd, the majority of their electronic components are made in Japan. I think theres going to be a shortage of all sorts of things here soon.

Bluedog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I copied my dealers response (from last Friday).

Pete,

I just met with my Ford Rep. We would have to change the color
by today to the secondary color or it will wait until May production.
Right now with the black he said it could even go into the next model
year. He says they have balanced out the black for other models
like the Explorer F Series Fusion and Expedition. It will just delay
it by a month right now if we just leave it. Maybe the black will be
back by then. He just can't make a prediction right now.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From the BlueOvalForums.com Ford Employee Section, DTP C-Crew went home before lunch on Friday due to parts shortage.

Bluedog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also saw on a reference (same site) to possibly deferring painting until after production.