Bad news... (the One and ONLY thread about the shortage of Tuxedo Black paint)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also, do we have a stickied production delay thread? I think that it would be helpful to have a central location where all of us could provide updates on validated issues affecting FoMoCo vehicle scheduling/production.

HARLEY6LF250SDU

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Latest paint update I just received.
randy

To: All Ford and Lincoln Dealers Subject: EFC00184DC UPDATE - Supply Chain - Balance Out Paints Background
The devastating situation in Japan has resulted in a supply chain issue that will disrupt the supply of pigments for some of our vehicle paints. We understand this will affect other automotive manufacturers and other industries as well.

The purpose of this communication is to provide the scheduling timing of early balance out paints and a summary of actions planned to manage through this mid-year change.

Additional paint colors may be affected in the coming weeks - this communication addresses near term issues only. Updates will be provided to the dealers via normal communication channels (e.g. Weekly Commodity Letter and Order Scheduling Notes from Field Scheduler and EDCs).

Vehicle Production Impact
We do not expect to have any production losses as a result of this situation.

Vehicle Scheduling Impact
Below is a recap of early balance-out paint timing:

** Retail Scheduling will continue until paint is exhausted

Other Actions To Be Taken

Spec Changes to scheduled F150 stock orders at Dearborn with Tuxedo Black paint
~500 F150 stock orders will be changed from Tuxedo Black to Silver (details and timing will be provided soon)
Additional scheduled orders may need to be spec changed at a future date based on actual paint availability as each plant balances out paints
CONCEPS will not prohibit dealers from entering an order containing these Balanced Out paints – but will be updated to contain an informational "Balance Out" message for all impacted paints.
2011 MY Order Guides for most vehicles will remain the same.
2012 MY Order Guides will be updated to include any new paints added in the future.
A team has been put together to identify which consumer facing materials (brochures, websites, advertisements, etc.) need to be updated.
Dealer Actions Required

Ensure all sales personnel are informed of the changes and work with their customers to manage expectations as they would during any Balance-Out situation.
This is a very fluid situation and is subject to change at any time. We will provide additional details as soon as they are available. It is important to remember that we still have a significant number of vehicles in dealer stock and in the system available for sale to retail customers.

Copyright 2011 Ford Motor Company

neveo

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my dealer told me that it also apllies to Molten Orange. i ordered on 12/26 and the truck is due at the dealer on 4-2. was told that some january orders havent been picked up....

xBX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That article says that all the red colors are done, as well as black

Bluedog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also appreciate the information Randy. I'm in the same situation as Vash - a February ordered black screw that's yet to be scheduled. Today my dealer gave the option of changing the color to stay on track toward an April build, or continue with black and expect the build in May (or later). I decided not to change, in part because of the black Leer cap on order. My biggest concern at this point is the paint situation worsens and I'm forced to change colors, in which case I'd be looking to sell a tuxedo black cap.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Whatever great supply chain and/or business continuity genius decided that it was a good idea to source a product that is built in only one plant in the world and located in an island nation prone to earthquakes and tsunamis and more specifically a plant close to shore and 35 miles from a nuclear reactor. Well, I want to punch that person in the face right now. This is definitely a case of gambling with a lack of supplier diversity and horribly losing. It's worsened by the fact that there are many auto manufacturers that source the pigment xirallic from that plant so there's gonna be one long line of companies waiting to snatch up product if/when the plant reopens.

Shame on Ford for not seeing the single plant as an issue and having a suitable contingency plan available. Shame on Merck (German company that owns the plant) for having all their eggs in one basket and not having a plan when mother nature took that basket and shoved it up their corporate ass. End rant. Hope I'm overanalyzing and this issue is far less worse than it seems.

I know that an earthquake and/or tsunami of this magnitude isn't common, but from working in the IT Disaster Recovery field I know how important it is to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fordx4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went by a dealership this weekend with a buddy looking at trucks. I wish Ford would add Sterling Gray to the Raptor line since Black is out. That color looks awesome.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lol. I'd be screwed either way. My second pick would've been the red candy metallic if it was available for the Raptor.

PEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went by a dealership this weekend with a buddy looking at trucks. I wish Ford would add Sterling Gray to the Raptor line since Black is out. That color looks awesome.

Agreed, Sterling Gray was my choice on a FX4. I was pretty bummed that it wasn't available on the Raptor! My last 2 Fords have been black, so I really wanted the darker gray color for a change, but black it'll have to be. I don't really care for the other colors that are available. If they come out with that darker gray color in the '12 Raptor, I'll be pissed! Especially if I end up waiting until June or July for a black '11. Oh well, nothing I can do but hope these paint issues resolve and it comes in May.